Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Submarine Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by pilot195 pilot195 wrote:

As I'm tearing into my '46 CJ-2A, I find that sometime back when the exhaust wore out, a replacement was fabricated out of 1-1/2" aluminum irrigation siphon tubes! (ok, I may be the only one here that knows what a siphon tube is....)

Jim

Still set tubes for water here on the farm. 10yrs or so ago when the price of scrap was thru the roof siphon tubes and larger gated pipe began disappearing around here.Angry
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 7:39pm
 Oh, yeah. One of the skills I learned as a little boy was how to start and regulate tubes. You still see a few around here, but center-pivot sprinklers have replaced most of the ditches.
  If you show up at the local scrap yard with tubes, you had better have a receipt from the farmer or auction company as to where you got them.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

If you show up at the local scrap yard with tubes, you had better have a receipt from the farmer or auction company as to where you got them.    BW

The yard will call the law on a thief?  GOOD!! Angry
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 12:53am
For science.

It was too dark to pose these next to Queen Mary which is sitting outside. 
NDT: 7x16
Tractor: 6x16

My dad egged me on to buy these... so I claim no responsibility. I can't wait to try them out next time I'm home. Since the submarine Jeep is purely an off-road rig, these might be perfect.

Edited by Nick_ - 15 Feb. 2017 at 2:49am
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 2:48am
If you don't feel like reading, check out my video updates:

I picked up, rather stole, this powerpack for $200. Made a friend with the previous owner and he's excited to follow the build. She actually fired up as seen in the video. We're both amazed. If the inevitable destruction of my engine occurs in the ocean deep, I now have a spare.

Compression: 95-90-105-105
My original engine: 125-125-125-125
A rebuilt pulls between 140 to 150.

The transmission looks to have been just rebuilt! It shifts ultra smooth into every gear.

Note this has the coveted 24V waterproof generator. My plan is to use the "original" engine, and mate this transmission along with the 65 amp generator.

All of this happened because I finally bought a yoke for my tranny. The moment I put some cash into it, I don't need it.

Other goods purchased.

I was home for a short time and worked on the MB conversion some more. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Also realized something I should have caught much sooner despite my excitement. We have extensive front frame damage. This was a plow Jeep in Coloado. The front is bent down about 2''.

Last year I sold a beautiful sandblasted/primed frame to a buddy here. I'm going to pick it up in a few weeks. You know... since the engine has to come out and all.

This project has gone overboard - but must be finished by mid August for wheeling adventures.

At 3am I couldn't sleep and looked through some of the Bam Bam thread. I was curious to see how much the worn out leaf springs could flex.
16'' front
18'' rear

Now that we're going all-out submerging this thing, I rendered up a snorkel and 'hater pipe exhaust with a tractor flap.
Yes, those are 7.00x16 tractor tires. Oh yes.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 3:42am
Originally posted by pilot195 pilot195 wrote:

As I'm tearing into my '46 CJ-2A, I find that sometime back when the exhaust wore out, a replacement was fabricated out of 1-1/2" aluminum irrigation siphon tubes! (ok, I may be the only one here that knows what a siphon tube is....)

Jim

I know those critters from some nights out in a field in the dark.
A picture would be nice.
uncamonkey
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 8:04pm
Also, what is going on here?
Passenger side inner steering tie rod socket. A ton of grease and the tie rod is pulling out. I understand it needs replaced but would like to know what's going on.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 9:09pm
Mind you, I'm just guessing here, but I think I would say, umm, "worn out"?WinkBig smile  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 9:26pm
On a different note, what program did you use to make that rendering?
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2017 at 6:27am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

On a different note, what program did you use to make that rendering?

This is a free-hand style modeling program similar to animation and art, not measurement based like CAD. If you know how to 3d model it's relatively easy to pickup. There is a tough learning curve for beginners.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2017 at 6:44am
I agree with Bruce W, it's done. The lack of a rubber boot helped with it's demise. Given the rust, that boot has been gone for a while. At least you know it needs to be replaced.
uncamonkey
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 5:23am
Squeezed 2 solid days of work on the 'sub.

Brought home the "new" CJ2A frame. I sold this to a buddy last year, and ended up buying it back. It's straight as an arrow, no pitting, and ready to rock.

These batwing fender brackets have haunted me; the diamond plate begging to be grinded.

Fenders are full of bondo but decent looking. If I find others I'll swap them out. If not, I'll patch these but have no desire.

A big thanks to Hugh's measurements off his MB tub, and jpet's 3d drawing of the tool indents. I measured 5 times and drew 3. These slots are for the military tools.

Turned out better than I expected! Total time was about 6 hours between the slots and filling the gas nozzle hole. It's pretty much an MB now.

Then I had a bright idea: I could hurry and weld up the body holes, wire wheel, and slap a coat of primer on before the weekend was over. Just for the sake of motivation and seeing where it needs bondo. I can't quite tell the body contour between the 5 colors.

Knowing the tub is covered in bondo, I wire wheeled the solid metal areas. Which wasn't much. The rest of the tub seems to be holding up well, and there isn't a point of sanding and re-applying bondo over the whole thing.

As it appropriated 9pm the night before I was to leave, my painting plans diminished I started applying bondo but called it quits. 

Spring break is in 2 weeks. I've ordered more in parts than what I traded the Jeep for. My goals:
1. Build tranny cover
2. Prime the tub
3. Primed rolling chassis on new frame

I have front discs and a dual master cylinder setup on the way. We're all about safety and such Wink
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 12:01pm
Nice job Nick on those tool indents,you're moving along real good.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Nice job Nick on those tool indents, you're moving along real good.

Thanks Gil! About halfway through, I stared at the body and thought "What have I done..."
It's a great feeling after standing back and staring at your creation. Once I get the roll cage built, it will truly be dream into reality.

If you guys are bored, check out this wicked rock crawler that used the original Mutt drivetrain. His build thread is one of the best I've ever seen. Looks like I'll have no problem with my lightweight Jeep and a single granny gear. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/805076-m-151-build-thread.html
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2017 at 5:48am
I worked hard today, installing agrijeep tires and such Wink It turns out I have M38 rims with an extra safety bead and 3/8'' positive offset.

At first I was weary of the 6.00x16 tires, but they actually look great (and sit a bit taller than normal 6.00's)

Googly eyes was brought out of hibernation for some comparison.
Sub Jeep tires are 28.5'' MB are 29.5''

Believe it or not, I drove the sub to this location. I've learned a few things:
1. The awful engine noise in my early videos was just a fan clearance issue
2. Civilian fuel pump works well
3. Smokes like a banshee - but not necessary to complete any serious engine work. This exact project is a non-proven concept... and there is always a possibility of engine destruction. I'm pretty good at breaking things.

This week should be the Parade of Progress. Tons of parts came in but not all of them. The plan is to work hard and see where we end up.

Edited by Nick_ - 13 Mar. 2017 at 6:09am
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2017 at 4:35pm
That's a real nice looking place.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 4:45am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

That's a real nice looking place.
Thanks, I am blessed. The ironic part is we build amphibious ATV's, and I'm here trying to make a Jeep run underwater.

I found an original M151 transmission cover. It looks nicer than anything I could fabricate, so I'm building sides around it. This part is time consuming. Each piece has weld nuts for quick removal.

I only mocked up the passenger side metal. I wanted an idea of the cover location, so I can work after the body is removed. This was the piece holding me up on disassembling the Jeep. Eventually a piece of metal will be welded to the M151 piece and angle nicely to the dash.

We have a major pedal dilemma. You can see the tranny cover extends against the brake pedal, leaving zero room for a gas pedal. If you look at my first post, the "original" gas pedal was a tiny lever coming off the fiberglass. 

My only idea is to cut the flat piece off the brake pedal shaft, and slide it to the left. Probably turned 90 degrees as well. Then I just might have room for the gas. 

My dad walked by and said wow, this is turning out really nice. I've gone slightly overboard with my project...again Hug
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

I've gone slightly overboard with my project...

...so to speak LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>