Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Submarine Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 11:12am
Very cool. I love seeing this level of problem solving! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 3:42am
Awesome build, love the innovation. One question, I am also putting a D27 Powr-Lok in a D25 using Herm's kit. What did you use a reference for the install? I didn't get any sort of guide from Herm as to what his parts were and how to install.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 3:52am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

I am also putting a D27 Powr-Lok in a D25 using Herm's kit. What did you use a reference for the install? I didn't get any sort of guide from Herm as to what his parts were and how to install.

Basically you need to remove the ring gear from your original pinion, and install it on the Powr-Lok with Herm's spacer. Easy enough. The rest of the install is somewhat painful. Because we're replacing the differential itself, it has to be fine-tuned in the axle for proper gear meshing. Everything I say will make sense after you watch the videos below.

Do not press on the carrier bearings yet!! Once they're installed, it's permanent as there's no way to pres the bearings off. I made this mistake and had to grind them in half to remove. You need to look at Herm's bearings and write down the part number. Order (2) additional of the exact same bearings from the exact same company. If you can't find the same company, order (4) from another because bearings can vary within thousands (and alter your pinion backlash). This is critical to setting up the pinion. Another thing to keep in mind you'll want to purchase a pinion bearing shim pack. Herm provides carrier shims, but not the pinion ones.

Videos: 

Extra:

So I did market research at Bundy Hill. There seems to be an epidemic. These poor souls were left vulnerable to the elements, stopped in their tracks because of a liquid substance. If only they had a submarine.

I've been pretty lazy on updating this thread but I'm working on the sub every chance I get. Breakdown of current events:

-Repainted the engine 3 times. First time it rained just as I was putting the engine inside. Then I had some runny marks I couldn't stand
-New tie rods after a forklift incident...
-Drivetrain installed on the chassis
-Tub was filler primed, then epoxy primed

I basically have 2.5 weeks until I leave for school. And I'm not leaving without the submarine. A fully painted, rolling assembly kind of submarine.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 4:45am
Nice Progress. And thanks for the advice. I already ordered some bearings to make into "set up" bearings (Man, those bearings Herm uses are cheap!). There is also what appears to be a pinion seal in the kit from Herm. I was hoping to leave the pinion in place, but I guess I may have to mess with that as well. Guess I better order some pinion shims. Thanks again.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 5:23pm
Amazing work Nick!!!Keep  the pictures and updates coming . l love it.Smile

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 3:05am
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Amazing work Nick!!!Keep  the pictures and updates coming . l love it.Smile
Giles

Your wish is my command!!

Mmmmm mmmm

If I had more time, I would've installed the front body. Cause it's painted too, baby!

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 3:34am
That’s going to be one unique Jeep.Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 4:26am
Where has the time gone?! I didn't make it... again!

Take a few steps back. Painting the parts. It must be easy sailing from here.

Well except this jerry can. It seemed to foreshadow the rest of the assembly process. I bought a new can that actually seals up, has a proper vent, etc. However, I didn't think to test fit this in my mount. Just my luck the new can was 1/2" wider.

I worked on the Jeep 14 hrs/day this past weekend. Every. Single. Part. Put up a fight. Just for example we'll use the clutch linkage. The swivels were already designed, all that was left were the actual adjustable rods. First attempt at making the rods, they simply bent. So I made them stronger. Then my dad happened to walk past the Jeep while I was playing with the clutch pedal. He noticed the entire motor mount (bracket) was flexing under the pressure plate's resistance. So I made a bracket. That didn't work. So then I welded one to the alternator bracket; this provided forward support on the clutch linkage.

I also decided I'm flying to the Philippines to teach MD Juan how to read a tape measure. I'm convinced theirs are digital, and the numbers must randomize every few seconds. My brand new hood is 1" wider on the driver side than the passenger. 2 of the 5 cowl bolt holes were 1" off. The list goes on.

Fancy trim to protect the gas tank against the tub floor.

Through trials and tribulations, I actually did achieve my goal. The submarine has reached a point where I can finish it at school.

I was planning to leave for school Sunday at noon. These pictures were taken at 6:00 pm.

By the time I loaded it up, wrapped/boxed all my other parts, wiring supplies, etc I wouldn't leave until midnight. It just so happens everyone is leaving for the weekend. Luckily I have no Friday classes, so I'm coming back to finish some details and bring the submarine home.

TL;DR: The submarine Jeep has been cruel and unusual.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 11:25am
Hang in there Nick. I look forward to seeing it in person.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 11:58am
any progress is progress, looking great!  14 hours is tough when things are going well, let alone fighting you Confused ... 14 hours back to back is you letting it know it won't win Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 5:44am
"Nick, why isn't the sub done?" everyone asks as I stare in confusion, sitting on the couch eating potato chips.

Here we see the maiden voyage of The Submarine on it's way to school.

Although I'm a slacker, I'm a quality slacker. I've spent tons of time making the wiring harness clean. I started with the largest cables that require the most space. Below is the winch control box all torn apart. 

The original cables were 4 AWG. Knowing I was extending the wires to both winches, I didn't want voltage drop. So I opted out for 2 AWG. I also wanted to operate both winches while sitting comfortably in the driver seat. Left circle shows the original controller location. Right circle is where I put a grommet and ran the wires out to the dash.

Underside view of winch cables. In all possible places, I routed them inside frame rails. Nothing hangs down, nothing should be caught on rocks nor in the way of maintenance. As for the cable maintenance, everything is easily accessible if necessary.

Finished view of dual control boxes. Notice I used authentic asphalt coated loom?

Even the battery cables are 2 AWG and hidden as much as possible! If you look under the battery tray you'll spot the engine grounding strap. Personally, I believe you can tell the quality of a person's wiring harness by how many cables are cobbled on each battery post. This baby is clean.

Here is about the entirety of my charging system. The 21st century looking piece is my voltage reducer. I didn't paint this as it may hinder cooling properties . It's mounted here to ensure air flow via headlight hole.

Top post is the positive side of the 24V 60 amp alternator.
Middle post connects alternator ground & voltage reducer ground to the frame.
Bottom post is the output positive charge of 12V 100 amps.

Finally we reach the dash. I needed a heavy duty marine battery shutoff switch. As I've mentioned before, because the way the alternator is wired to bypass its self regulator, it will draw current from the battery. It's also nice in case of a runaway winch. 

This switch is rated for 650 amp continuous and 900 amp intermediate. I couldn't find a perfect hole-saw for the dash, so I used automotive trim to help fill the gap. I still need to bolt the switch through the dash.

Keeping with the theme of clean. The Mutt carb doesn't have a throttle cable, and the left of my dash is filled with the roll cage/hour meter. I was able to mount the light switch parallel to the choke cable. It's a perfect mirror and now I won't have an empty hole on the dash.

The fording valve also fits perfectly in the original CJ parking brake hole! Below that are 3 switches: Front winch, engine fan shutoff, rear winch. The CJ temp gauge fits inside the Mutt engine block. Win win.

This wiring is taking too much time, but it's oh so right.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 10:30am
Impressive work! Super tidy. I like it! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 11:29am
Wow,know that is clean wiring and everything else . I would love to see that Jeep in person.Well done.Clap

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 2:17pm
Good work Nick!. Think you will be able to button it up during Christmas break?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 6:14pm
Thanks guys!!
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Good work Nick!. Think you will be able to button it up during Christmas break?

I'm trying to make it "driveable" by Nov 3rd. There's a big Jeep event in the Daniel Boone National Forest I think would be scenic and fun.

Jerseyhawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 7:10am
Hey Nick, i am enjoying following your build along very much. Your work is impressive. 

Glenn
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 2:18pm
Perhaps a bit of overkill in some of it but the old line works "When in doubt, build it stout".
uncamonkey
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2018 at 6:56am
I read the news today, oh boy!!!!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, this post has been 2 years in the making. The final push to get The Submarine trail-ready is a chaotic story. If you want to skip the stressful details, scroll ahead to main feature.

3 weeks ago, my buddy and I decided a tight deadline: Daniel Boone National Forest ride on Nov 3rd. Beautiful scenery and 8 am to 5 pm wheeling. I spent every waking minute possible wrenching on the Jeep. Most nights until 3 am (above pic related). I couldn't believe the amount of small details and fittings etc that sucked up so much time. 

First major hurdle was driveshafts. I brought in some original CJ shafts to Patterson Driveline & Machine in Moorseville, IN. The original idea was to change the lengths and weld on a Mutt u-joint flange. Simple. Turns out the Mutt u-joints are extremely tall, and have almost no clearance when the driveshaft is flexed. 

They spent weeks figuring out different u-joints and flanges that could work, but there just wasn't anything feasible. One major issue is that nobody even makes Mutt u-joints! So we decided to take a modern route. The idea was to fit a Spicer 5-101X u-joint at the transfercase.

Chopped off the Mutt flange and welded on a solid base. Then drill & tap for the Spicer flange. You could say it's a bit more beefy than original.

Pictured is all the necessary parts to build the driveshafts.

Final product! Rear was 24" and front 22.5" long. I owe a huge thank you to Patterson. Not only did they undertake such an unusual request, but persevered to make everything work. On top of all this, they felt bad for taking a couple weeks and cut me a ridiculous discount. Above and beyond quality and service. I wouldn't take my driveline work anywhere else and neither should local CJ2Apage residents.

Setting aside the beautiful shafts, I knew the front tcase wasn't going to clear. I needed to trim my 2wd/4wd shift axle just a bit. Ford actually trimmed these from the factory, but I needed that extra clearance for the monster yokes. It was difficult as the axle comes in/out of the case so far. I had to trim it to fit the yoke, but not trim where the axle slides into the oil seal. And of course I did screw it up.

Que a day of tearing this apart and replacing parts. Axle shaft, shift springs, oil seals. Time I didn't have...

Take 2! This time I marked exactly where the axle went into the case...duh. RIP sanding wheel.

There was still a ton of wiring left. I didn't finish everything. Still gotta do brake light switch, headlights, horn and center console. These are minute details not necessary for the big ride. But the Mutt guys will appreciate my ingenious solenoid bracket.

Last weekend I thought for sure the thing would be running, driving, stopping. Nope. We are now T minus 5 days until leaving for Daniel Boone. Notice how long the distributor is where the power wire comes out. Since the whole thing swings around for timing, I couldn't get my air cleaner to fit. An inline filter to the snorkel is my best bet.

The last few days are a complete blur and I completely forgot to take engine pictures. It's physically dirty, but all my hardlines are cleaaaan.

Brakes bogged me down hard. I made all the brake lines myself with an Eastwood flare tool which is invaluable. Got everything finished, bench bleed the master cylinder, and was ready to bleed the system. We could not bleed the brakes to save our lives. The pedal wouldn't build any pressure. We messed with the brakes for days until giving up and going to a shop. Of course their only appointment was Friday. Long story short, we found out the master cylinder was bad 5 hours before we're supposed to leave. 

And of course I couldn't get a replacement until the next day. 
And the biggest kicker? We hadn't even driven the Jeep yet.

Got the Jeep running but had some idling/timing problems. Rick G was a huge help not only in rebuilding my carb last year, but being on-call for technical support whenever I needed his input. We are now T minus 2 hours until we needed to leave for Daniel Boone. My buddy and I couldn't decide what to do. We had the Mutt hand brake, but not the full brake system. Still had seat harnesses, misc wiring, and a long list of little details that take longer than you expect to finish. 

We needed to cruise around the block and see what the ol' Sub is capable of. I was amazed!! This being said, we decided it wasn't worth driving 8 hours, getting a hotel room, and praying the Jeep didn't have a single issue. Instead we bought delicious Texas Roadhouse carryout and enjoyed a steak in peace. No rushing around. Just taking our time to finish some details. Today we decided to hit up the local ORV park. Once again little details took so much time it was already 4 pm and we hadn't even touched the brakes. Or headlights. Or snorkel. Do we even go, or should we stay home? He looked at the weather. Today was the last sunny day above 40 degrees. And the Jeep is only going to look pretty once. Decided to load up the trailer and do a mini photoshoot with leaves on the trees.

/end_post1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...THE SUBMARINE JEEP!!

I have the comical first drive reactions on video, but here's what we found out:
-Mutt engine is the perfect amount of power for a CJ2A
-The hater pipe asserts dominance over pedestrians
-The hater pipe does not blow smoke into my face 
-Can't speed shift the tranny like a racecar
-Tractor treads are a smooth riding tire, tested up to 30 mph
-Welded rear axle doesn't chirp or change driving characteristics
-She's a little top heavy in the corners
-Crawl speed is at least 10 mph, not good for my planned Rubicon trip
-CJ2A stomach room is noticeably smaller than a 3A, so I can't get fat

I couldn't leave the park without ensuring the rear winch works. Right?
Oh it works. And it moves literal boulders. 

We only had an hour to trial run the Jeep. I really didn't have any significant problems! My engine temps were 190-200 degrees in 50 degree weather which is alarming. However, I believe the cooling system had some air bubbles. I probably need to make a shroud anyways. We will see. Engine was also running rich and by the end of the trip, she acted like a turbo'd car with anti-lag. The exhaust flames were awesome. Probably dirty plugs not firing. That's a simple screw adjustment.

It was an absolute blast driving my creation down the road. Every single piece of this Jeep was held in my hands. Every piece modified to work in sync. Restoring a Jeep to factory spec is difficult, but the feeling of driving a completely custom rig and having these components working perfectly is euphoric. I want to thank everyone who has commented on this thread, those who helped motivate, and those who helped work on the Jeep itself. I wouldn't have made it this far without the help of countless people. I look forward to finishing the details, the fording system, adjustments and updating this thread with lots of pics. I am in love. May we submerge The Submarine in spring 2019.

August 2016

November 2018

Edited by Nick_ - 04 Nov. 2018 at 8:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>