Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time Capsule Navy CJ3A by Valentine APU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:04pm
Wow,  is all I can say. Holding history in your hands-------the real deal,  is a very satisfying feeling. I really like the idea of not touching the original, but build a restored replica of yours with numbers and all and put it side by side. You have all the pictures and info. to do so. Finding the charging equipment would be a treasure hunt. More fun. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had that stuff, they would give it to you just to see it go back where it belongs. The more you post it in the right places, the better the chance someone with the equipment will see it. Maybe some military surplus guys. Post a add in MVPA's Supply Line etc. G 503 also. Wink  John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Very cool stuff Nick!!!
X2. Incredible is what it is!!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:33pm
Now that amazing all the information and history,good find Nick.Clap
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:51pm
Finally something that approaches the true meaning of the word "awesome"... if you don't publicize that jeep all that documentation likely gets lost to history
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 3:19pm
Incredible! That all that paper work was saved and stored where it did not get damaged. That your Jeep was in the manual.

To the gentleman researching his family, glad you found this thread and Nick!
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 3:43pm
Nick:

Congratulations on your acquisition of the Valentine Welder and Mfg. Co. archives; they are now in good hands! In looking at the photos in your "Pictures of books here" remote site, I noticed the USA Registration number on the welder jeep with the four guys working from it is 20643175.  That same welder jeep is pictured on page 75 in my Preproduction Civilian Jeeps book, being demonstrated by a guy in a fancy doubled-breasted wool welder suit.  I imagine that jeep was one of the first welder jeep factory conversions performed by Harger & Valentine.

The CJ2 welder jeep is news to me, as I've never seen that photo before.  When you have the time, I would appreciate receiving a 300 dpi scan of that photo (and any others of that CJ2 welder jeep if they exist). From the larger bronze JEEP hood plaque, it appears to be one of the later 18 CJ2 Agrijeeps and not CJ2-01 (X25) that shared the T84X transmission with CJ2-02 (X26), which was equipped with a Davey air compressor.  I think CJ2-02 (X26) received the air compressor because its smaller T84X transmission was not as strong as the T90A transmission installed in the later CJ2s for general farming and plowing work.

Congratulations again on your wonderful acquisition of he Valentine factory archives.  I cannot think of anyone more deserving to have and preserve those materials. :)

Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:59pm
Nick - That is awesome...congrats!!!

You might contact Bill Norris on suggestions of scanning the bound books.

He has extensive research experience with archives and the libraries and may give you some guidance. Hopefully he will chime in.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:47pm
This whole thread is cool, very very awesome.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 3:17am
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I'm glad to be a part of this community and share our obsessions over the love of Jeeps. I enjoyed each and every post. I'll start to organize all my files and begin writing down APU history. Like a book.

Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

The CJ2 welder jeep is news to me, as I've never seen that photo before.  When you have the time, I would appreciate receiving a 300 dpi scan of that photo (and any others of that CJ2 welder jeep if they exist). 

Thanks Fred for the words and history! I've been slacking on picking up your book, and need to get on it. I'll get the loose photographs scanned asap and post them. I can't confirm, but I believe there were a handful of pictures. I also believe there was some information in the large binder regarding all the contracts Valentine fulfilled, which may be of use to you.

Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

I really like the idea of not touching the original, but build a restored replica of yours with numbers and all and put it side by side. You have all the pictures and info. to do so. Finding the charging equipment would be a treasure hunt.

I have a confession to make. There is something I never got around to posting, because I never took decent pictures. Last spring, Dave at eWillys posted some information about my Jeep. A reader recognized the badge on the side of my tub. He happened to buy a trashed "MB" rock buggy, and the same badge was on its side. 

And it was for sale. I eagerly shipped the tub from Arizona because I had to know what it was.
After many hours going over every inch of this tub, I found beyond a reasonable doubt it was from one of the 75 Valentine NA-4's. Unfortunately the Jeep is long gone and my #19 is still the only survivor. But I'm happy to save this major piece.

I never thought about making a replica of my Jeep. That's a fantastic idea as part of me yearns for the beautiful NA-4 from the manual. Finding the generator equipment will be nearly impossible, heck I still haven't found a control box for mine. But I'm in no hurry. 

This is the week of APU's. It's only Thursday and when it rains, it pours. Stay tuned for my last trick.

NA-4 tub pictures
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 11:15am
Again, it' seems to be fate has smiled on you. With no glovebox in that extra tub, I was going to guess Slat Grill, but the instrument hole really nails it. I'd make a list of all the military business surplus/dealers and maybe a group of pictures of the parts you need and send that to each guy. He may have it lying around and never knew what it was for. Seems there is a enormous surplus dealer in Arizona that has miles of yard that is full of stuff purchased through history. I think I saw it on Steel Soldiers site. You never know what they have and possibly they don't either. Very cool hunt. John Bizal at Midwest Military would be a good guy to contact. Supply Line MVPA magazine, etc. Thumbs Up   John
rozzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rozzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 2:45pm
Congrats on an amazing find with that paperwork.  This is one of my favorite threads on this page, so it is always great to see updates!
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:30pm
Amazing find Nick! Really cool to see all this come together!
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 5:02am
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Thanks Fred for the words and history! I've been slacking on picking up your book, and need to get on it. I'll get the loose photographs scanned asap and post them. I can't confirm, but I believe there were a handful of pictures. I also believe there was some information in the large binder regarding all the contracts Valentine fulfilled, which may be of use to you.

Nick:

PM me your mailing address and I send you, with my compliments, a signed copy of my Preproduction Civilian Jeeps book as a thank you for acquiring and posting these neat CJ2 photos.  They're the only real new discovery on the CJ2 front in years.  Smile 

The brand of tachometer used in your NA-4 is SUN.  In the late 1940s and 1950s, SUN made a wide variety of tachometers with different rpm ranges and for 6 or 12 volts, + or - ground, as determined by a remote control box to which the tach dial in the dash attached via wires.  See if that dark brown plastic control box is perhaps mounted to your firewall. 

The thing sticking up in the bottom center of your tach is a light for night time illumination.  Obviously, its left side arm is broken off short, but there should be another mounting hole at its end, as on the right.  But the tach dial face looks excellent!

Edited by Fred Coldwell - 12 May 2018 at 5:06am
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 5:24am
This thread just keeps getting better and better!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

PM me your mailing address and I send you, with my compliments, a signed copy of my Preproduction Civilian Jeeps book as a thank you for acquiring and posting these neat CJ2 photos.  They're the only real new discovery 
on the CJ2 front in years.  Smile 

The brand of tachometer used in your NA-4 is SUN.
Wow, thank you very much!! Crazy how new information finds its way to the surface. I'll check on that tachometer.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy this is happening!
Yes I have finally tracked one down!

About 6 months ago I was late-night searching APU's. I've seen just about every post on the forums 3 times. However, I found a new (old 2007) topic where a user casually mentioned having a flight line Jeep. I messaged him on the off chance he still had it.

Turns out in 1982 his father purchased about 5 APU's to rip the engines out and scrap the rest. Just my luck, one Jeep escaped its impending doom and remained hidden in a barn for the last 36 years. This Jeep was the nicest of the bunch whereas the rest were very rough. 

After contacting some expert friends, we have confirmed this to be a Valentine NC-2! That would make it the only known Valentine "3-wheeler" true tug-style Jeep known to exist. For 3 years I've been searching for one of these on a weekly basis.

There were quite a few variants of the "3-wheelers" as designated by their name. An NA-1 and NA-2 only provided DC voltage, while an NC-1 and NC-2 had both AC and DC. This Jeep has a massive generator drive system that also acts as the transfercase. It can support 1 generator in the front and 2 in the rear.

Unfortunately I only have 1 generator and once again... no control boxes. But the Jeep is in such great shape overall that I can't complain.

1,750 hours on the gauge!

This particular marking is very interesting.
AIMD = Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Detachment. This is essentially the training, inspections, and technical assistance on aircraft.
LPH 7 = Landing Platform Helicopter, and the 7 represents the USS Guadalcanal. How cool is that?

Serial 3456? Original data tag is missing but this number is on both the firewall and hood.

Salt water must've taken a huge toll on APU's. This Jeep has actually been re-skinned over both the cowl and hood. So the bubba Jeeps running around are now considered authentic repairs.

Tug Jeeps are nearly unrecognizable underneath. It's a rear wheel steer. The front axle is actually a rear axle, and is directly mounted to the frame, meaning no suspension. Anywhere.

The engine appears to be from an M38A1. I need to check the serial numbers. It has a suppressed ignition system.

Now this is the coolest tag on the Jeep. The engine was rebuilt in Norfolk, VA in 1969. My NA-4 Jeep was sold as surplus at the same base. It appears this engine was rebuilt with standard tolerances. I'm not sure what the PCW means before NOR, VA.

Full gallery here

What are my plans with this? I'm 99% sure it's making an appearance at the Hueston Woods reunion in 2 weeks. I'll then work towards a mechanical refurbish to make it a driver. Who else wants to see it whip around a donut?

Long-term I want to purchase another generator and the control boxes. Both these Jeeps share the same patina, so much that you'd swear they sat in the same building all these years. They're right on the edge of restoration vs preservation. Overall this appears to be in better shape than my NA-4, but I have yet to inspect the frame. I'm heavily leaning towards preservation. This thread has turned into a Valentine storybook!
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:15am
Keep digging, I'll bet there is more stuff around. You are now the foremost expert on these whether you like it or not. You should tell the whole story about them in a book. Fred Caldwell can shed light on how to do it. Wink Thanks for sharing your excitement. very cool. John
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:49am
Congratulations doesn't seem enough to say! Just incredible-luck and perseverance have paid off!
Rick Estes
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:57am
No doubt, you're in it deep now.  Nice! Thumbs Up

ETA: does that strap on the cowl act as a stop to keep the hood off the steering wheel when open?

Edited by mbullism - 14 May 2018 at 2:07pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>