Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time for TBI on my L134 in my CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill usn-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2017 at 8:32pm
Received the new data log from Pat.
The new header and intake design definitely changed the air and fuel flow, requiring adjustments to the fuel table so the ECM doesn't have to make all the adjustments.
New tune was sent so we will see how much difference it makes for the little L134.

Hard to get a lot out of an engine at altitude when naturally aspirated.
IH added a small turbo to the 152 4 cyl (1/2 a 304 V8)in the 65 scout for those at altitude.

Edited by Bill usn-1 - 09 Nov. 2017 at 8:34pm
Hamilton Fuel Injection
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 5:34am
Willy M, yes the header is 4 into one, it is made very well and is a perfect addition to the fuel injection and ignition upgrades!
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 5:39am
Otto,

With the new intake, the single barrel TBI unit, and the 3 inch high round air filter I am running puts me about an inch under the hood. In the future I might try an air horn and pipe down to a cone air filter, or maybe even a turbo!

P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 5:47am
LuzonRed47

I agree that the porting and relieving is next in line. I spoke with the gentleman at Clifford Performance when I purchased the header and he informed me they do a cam for the 134 as well that bumps up performance a good bit. I think when it comes motor time, I will up compression a little, grind some, and use the cam from Clifford to see what the little engine can do!

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 2:28am
Small world! I was just researching some TBI L134 stuff for a friend and came across this thread. I live down in Durango and am a fellow flatty head. I will shoot you a PM with my contact info. Nice job on the conversion. 
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2018 at 5:46am
Has anybody tried stock arch leaf springs from Atlas spring Company?
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2018 at 1:37pm
P-Mo, based on your experience I bought one of Bill's EFI setups for my flatty.  I have a Pinto 2.0L engine in mine to help with breathing at higher elevations.  I'm still doing some adjustments to get my system to work at it's best.  Like I need to get my temp sensor into hotter water than I originally set it up in.  I'm looking forward to using it this summer but had a question for you.  Did you find that you needed Bill to send you a new tune for it when running at high elevations?  I plan to send Bill a file for a drive up Mt. Princeton sometime soon, but I need to wait for the snow to come off before I go up there. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2018 at 2:41am
M38mike-Good question! We had the system all dialed in and I made it up to about 9500 ft and found it had no change in function that I could tell. I then installed the header and intake and it changed everything so drastically that we had to do a few more data log and chip burning sessions to get it dialed back in. We have it dialed in around 6500 ft, and it seemed the same at 9500, so I am assuming that it will probably be a little rich up around 12000 but I am hoping it will not need a separate chip for the high stuff. I will be able to tell you more after the snow melts. I will ask Bill the next time I speak with him what he thinks. He has ran vehicles with his systems on them all over Colorado on some high passes. If the Collegiates melt off before the San Juans, let me know how it does up there.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2018 at 12:58pm
P-Mo, we took the Blue Mule up to about 10,000 yesterday before the snow got to be too much to handle.  I think it was running a bit rich most of the day, but that may be because I still have not moved the temp sensor into hotter water.  My adapters showed up in the mail yesterday so later today I may get it moved.  I'm still running with the original tune that Bill set for me, we have not made any modifications yet.  Even though we were a little rich, it still ran well, started well, and showed good power going uphill. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2018 at 2:54pm
Mike, this is an interesting adaption/upgrade.

Would you have a breakdown of costs for this upgrade?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2018 at 4:05pm
Roc, 

It's about $1,400 for the complete EFI kit.  That includes the ECM, fuse box for EFI, ALDL port, TBI, adapter plate between TBI and intake manifold, coil, temp sensor, MAP sensor, Oxygen sensor, oxygen sensor collar,  check engine LED light, rebuilt distributor, new fuel pump with filter, and a complete wire harness to connect all these features.  You also get a 31 page installation manual and an 8 page data logging manual with CD that has a data logging program, and a USB cable to connect your laptop to the ALDL data port.  

In addition I bought new rubber fuel hose for supply, 3/8", and fuel return, 5/16", about 10 feet of each.  Also some brass fittings to connect those hoses to my M38 fuel tank supply and vent connections.  About $30 for that.  

I added a 0-15 lb fuel pressure gauge to the fuel supply line to monitor my fuel pressure.  Add $25 for gauge, 3/8" T, and hose clamps.  

I bought an adapter to put my temp sensor in the upper radiator hose to get it into the hottest water from the engine.  Had to add some small plumbing fittings to get the sensor to fit the adapter.  Add $15 for that.  

I had to retap the 4 stud holes in the intake manifold from a metric to 5/16" to match the new adapter plate mounting bolts.  So about $8 for a tap.  

I had to extend a few of the wires to get to where the sensor or connection would fit for my vehicle.  And had to keep the wires covered with plastic loom.  Add about $5 for wire, connectors, loom, tape. 

I think that about does it for expenses.  I don't count the time I've spent because it's been a great teaching and learning experience, and the fact that my Blue Mule now runs better than it has in years, and we're still not done with final tuning, has me very happy.  

Did I mention that if you're a Veteran, then Bill will give you a discount on the EFI system.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2018 at 5:41pm
Thanks Mike....I can see incorporating that if a new Pinto 'lefty' manifests itself.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2018 at 8:28pm
What starter did you use?
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 4:38am
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 5:24am
   This is a great thread !

I have been wanting to install a TBI unit from maybe a 305 Chevy on my '77 Jeep 304 V-8, so any good suggestions otherwise, attach a link.

I installed Clifford headers 20-years ago on my Ford 300 inline six, and with the Clifford aluminum intake to run a 650 Holley 4bbl universal carb.

In those 20-years, I have not had to change header gaskets ! ....
And all systems are good today. I am impressed with the Clifford headers.

And now am very curious of the setup for the L134. ... very interesting.

Len
Bill usn-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill usn-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 8:56pm
I do any engine with 12v other then the Odd fire V6.
Parts and service
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/fuel-injection-parts-and-service.102989/
DIY
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/start-here-fuel-injection-faq-start-here.47254/

The most important part to properly tuning and operating an EFI system is ensuring there are no exhaust or vacuum leaks.
The O2 sensor does just that.
It measure the oxygen in the exhaust.
If there are leaks, the O2 level is wrong.
Another main problem is the condition of the fuel system.
It doesn't matter how clean you think it is.
The system flows about 1 gal/min.
It will flush the system.
I have had my new supplied filter plugged withing 5 miles of operation.

So as noted in this thread, issues can arise that have nothing to do with the system, but will affect how the system operates.
And of course, the first comment back to me is, my new system doesn't run right!

Then the diagnosis and the learning begins!!!!!!!
My system can fix a lot of things, but not things that aren't part of the system!

So just ask the guys here, how many hours we spent on the phone and emails diagnosing vehicle issues!

Edited by Bill usn-1 - 14 July 2018 at 9:04pm
Hamilton Fuel Injection
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:56am
Bill is right.  I was trying to get him some run-time data files with the Mule but it was getting rougher and rougher running.  I called to ask what I needed to go look for that might be the problem.  He said go look at the fuel filter.  I did and sure enough it had a sand dune of rust powder in it, and all the little vanes were full of crap.  And this is the second filter in my system.  I have an in-tank filter in my M38 tank.  I replaced the second filter with a new one, and cleaned the in-tank filter, and the engine was running as smooth as ever after that.  Now I'm carrying spare filters in my on board tool kit.  

I appreciate Bill's knowledge of both his EFI system, and the things that can affect it.  We still have some tweeking to do on Blue Mule's EFI, but it's running better now than it ever did with the carb on it.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 3:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>