Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

timing gears

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: timing gears
    Posted: 14 Oct. 2016 at 3:23pm
Hi all , I've switched from body work to the motor. I removed the cam with fiber gear from my 48 cj2a motor no. 238965 this matches the no. given on the original title so assume original. Intended to use in another but changed plans. I can't find the timing mark on the fiber gear!! I have another cam and fiber gear from motor no.MC87367 which Rick G informs me is military around 1952 vintage. Both cams have no.641284 on them fiber gear is 641282 on 52 948137 celoron on the 48. I see the mark on the 52. Are these interchangeable? What about just switching gears? Thanks Wadoyado.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2016 at 5:32pm
 On the gear that has a mark, draw yourself a line thru the center of the shaft and thru the center of the key, out to the gear teeth, then count over from your line to the mark. Then repeat the process on the unmarked gear, and make your own mark. I'll bet if you look close where the mark should be, you'll find that it is there, but faint.  BW

OH, yeah, they are interchangeable.   
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2016 at 9:00pm
Bruce thanks for the tip. I'll go give it a try right now! I guess common sense isn't that common to borrow a quote I've seen on this form. Wadoyado.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2016 at 10:14pm
[QUOTE=Bruce W]  On the gear that has a mark, draw yourself a line thru the center of the shaft and thru the center of the key, out to the gear teeth, then count over from your line to the mark. Then repeat the process on the unmarked gear, and make your own mark. I'll bet if you look close where the mark should be, you'll find that it is there, but faint.  BW

[/QUOTE
It sort of reminds of putting the timing gear on my old Harley. No keyway on the camshaft so you just made your best guess as to placement and hope you did it right.
uncamonkey
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

On the gear that has a mark, draw yourself a line thru the center of the shaft and thru the center of the key, out to the gear teeth, then count over from your line to the mark. Then repeat the process on the unmarked gear, and make your own mark. I'll bet if you look close where the mark should be, you'll find that it is there, but faint.  BW

Hard to believe that much time has past since. OK so I used a good starret square to scribe a line (eye-balled a line thru the center of the key and mnt. hole, with the key at 9'oclock I counted up 15 teeth. Anybody out there able to verify this???? I cleaned and used a mag glass still can't find a timing mark on either Celeron timing gears(spare in background). Was all set to use the cam and gear where I can see the mark, but noticed the gear teeth look thinner, either from wear or just design? Stock military as opposed to Celeron. I want to avoid doing this twice. Wish it was a Harley like Unkamonkey said easy access to the cam cover. Motor is ready to go in, then body then wiring, finish wheels a few more bolt ons and I'll be rolling (yeah right) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Joe wadoyado
 Post Reply Post Reply