Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing Photos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Craig1017 Craig1017 wrote:

Do you have a build thread on your jeep? Looks fantastic!

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/1948-cj2a-restomod-build_topic22721_page7.html
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 5:26pm
Bare minimum, I think.
Jeep just fits in the trailer weight capacity,  width and length. 2,990 GVWR, 5' X 10'.
No trailer brakes.
There were no problems towing at highway speed

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 10:22pm
SlowPocono...next time your all loaded up, test the brakes like your life depends on it. a set of electric brakes would help you a bunch. it within load limits but might be pushing the "oh sh*t" hit the brakes limit. 
Just my $.02

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 10:45pm
Mr jeeper50, there's nothing wrong with your suggestion.  I agree completely, that's why I suggested that my example was borderline.  More important than my life are the poor innocents that might get in my way.  As it turns out, that little Nissan stopped that load just fine, down hill too.

Of course, a drop deck equipment trailer with air brakes would be even better.  
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2017 at 12:20am
Not my intent to upset ya, just reminded me of a close call I had a dozen years ago with a dodge truck and a loaded trailer when somebody pulled out in front of me and forgot where he put his gas pedal I headed for the shoulder and skidded past him on the right side while giving him a single digit salute as we passed him. Scared the crap outta me, I bought brakes from etrailer.com that next day. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 12:09am

Fullsize:

Sub-optimal. The JK is rated to tow only 3500#s. I think it is a "convertible" rating more than the actual capacity. Supercharger on the JK helps a lot. I'm "blue highways" only with this setup. I try to keep under 63MPH. This keeps me on "blue highways" as much as possible. Interstates are no fun.

Edited by stude-a-willys - 09 Sep. 2017 at 12:14am
Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 1:36am
Don't know. My Tacoma 4 cylinder says my towing capacity is 3500. I tow my Alumna 14 foot trailer with my CJ3a just fine. Use 4th gear most of the time.

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 7:52pm
I like slowpocono's set up. I'd have e-brakes of course out here in Colorado, but a small single axle trailer is my idea of minimal being better. I do the bigger tandem 12' right now, but wish often for a smaller footprint trailer on the secondary tracks especially. I pull all the time with my tree biz mostly larger tandems in some very small spaces. I have to  back and turn around in tight spots, run in heavy traffic etc and know its easier smaller vs bigger. Don't fret about blow outs and in general appreciate getting away from the attention a larger trailer can require while in small spaces. I see folks all the time going bigger and bigger- more stuff more trailer more truck more crap in the back = more hassel. Simple is better. Less is more. Like a flat fender. Thats my opinion anyway.

Edited by jhg - 21 Sep. 2017 at 8:24pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 4:13am
Been looking a t 14' aluminum trailers.  Big $$, but want to stay light as I can.  Any suggestions of what to get or not buy??
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 1:23pm
I like my 14' Alumna trailer. Dual axles. Electric brakes. As to price, I bought mine 2 years ago. The list price was just over 7K. Bought it for 5K. Tried to find a used one but no luck. Got the pull out ramps instead of the gate.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 1:31pm
Same goes for my 16' Triton aluminum trailer, extra axle for piece of mind and assurance of safely towing my unreplaceable 48 CJ2A. I have surge brakes which means I can tow it with any vehicle and not need the brake controller.

Just wish the ramp folded as it tends to be a wind drag at times.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
offrd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offrd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 2:25am
This is my setup. I custom ordered a single axle PJ Trailer with a 5k axle and electric brakes. Its a 14' U77 utility trailer with fold up ramp and removable sides so it can become a flat trailer too if i want. Factory payload capacity is 3500 pounds so well over the weight of a cj2a. I use a 2012 jeep liberty to tow it and have had no problems with stability or braking. The liberty is rated to tow 5,0000 pounds. sorry for the bad photos they are the only ones I have taken. They are from when i towed it from New Jersey to the outer banks of North Carolina for vacation. Towed it 860 miles

1946 Willys CJ2a
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 4:46am
Wow, that 2A looks nice!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 5:11am
"bad photos" - look great to me...  
Nice looking flat fender.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 5:16am
Looking at Aluma, ATC and Stealth.  Appreciate hearing your input on th aluminum trailers.  Any thoughts on ATC or Stealth brands?
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 4:02pm
I have 3 aluma trailers, generally ok but..

My little 4x8 I have put 3,000 lbs of rock on and hauled short distances. My 6x12 single axle hauls the jeep, and have a sno cap topper on it.   Hauls jeep fine, two long distance jeep trips.

Purchased a new hd 5x10 with the idea of putting the jeep on it, rated for 3,000 lbs. Put a 2,500 lb load of osb on it and the tires were within 3/8 inch of a screw on the fender. Took it back to them. they had never seen that problem before. their solution was to raise the fenders and reweld. but it only had a 3,000 lb axle so no margin of error. My older trailer had a 3,500 lb axle so made them put a 3,500 axle under my new trailer. I have hauled the jeep short distances so far.

My suggestion would be to find an older single axle aluma and put a 2nd axle under it. Older was better quality, check for weld cracks as a negotiation tool, they can be rewelded. make sure the design looks over built. This is my plan and should be cost effective, but I do have to buy a lot of beer for my aluminum welder guy.

I don't think factory ratings means anything any more. If they say it is a 3,000 lb trailer it just means they don't have to put brakes on it and meets gov regulation.

I love the light aluminum trailers because I can man handle them. Going down the road, I don't think it makes much difference. Wind resistance is a bigger factor than weight. Even the fenders wider that your tow vehicle make a difference,

Edited by willys54wagon - 24 Sep. 2017 at 4:21pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 3:17am
Real practical information - thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123