Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toy trains around the tree

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toy trains around the tree
    Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 12:04am
Very OT, but it is of the same vintage.

I have a fairly large collection of 1946-1960 vintage American Flyer toy trains. Unfortunately, it's all packed in the attic. But my little grandson is coming for Christmas, so I dug out a very basic train and track to set up around the tree for him. 

It dawned on me the American Flyer S-gauge trains spanned a very similar period as our flat fender jeeps. Does anyone else play with vintage toy trains?

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 12:32am
Yup-my stuff is 027 scale  Lionel and Marx.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Mhovey46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhovey46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 1:11am
American Flyer was made 30 minutes from me in New Haven. Turns out I’m a Lionel guy! It started around the Christmas tree at a young age and eventually grew into a full 4x8 layout. All postwar 0-27 Lionel. 
Of course I had to incorporate a Jeep in there Smile

-Matt

bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 2:12pm
Boys and their toysClap
I didn't know that about you Rick.
Awesome stuff.  When I was a kid, there was a neighbor that had a room fully dedicated to this.  To get in the room, you had to enter on your hands and knees them pop up at different areas.  It was super neat, I was mesmerized by the details.

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Boys and their toysClap
I didn't know that about you Rick.
Awesome stuff.  When I was a kid, there was a neighbor that had a room fully dedicated to this.  To get in the room, you had to enter on your hands and knees them pop up at different areas.  It was super neat, I was mesmerized by the details.

I have something like 10 locomotives. One I've had since i'sa  kid. The stuff is all bubble wrapped and boxed, I haven't looked at them for over 30 years..
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 7:24pm
I received a neat toy train set for my first birthday in 1944 - But it was all made out of WOOD - because there were no metal toys that year. All the metal was being used to make WILLYS JEEPS
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 11:05pm
Jeeps and toy trains seem to go together wellSmile
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 12:29am
Now you've dunnit! I gotta go find my RR.
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 2:51am
 We did a Toy train window display this year down on Main St.  Big hit -  people come to see the trains like in the old days.  Trains in the window are for the most part prewar Lionel (1936 - 1941).

Edited by Stev - 10 Dec. 2018 at 2:56am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 2:12pm
My American Flyer locomotive and Switch engine are always on display in my home. My father bought them for me--(and him) 64 years ago. They still work. Like my Jeeps. You are correct, if you like Willys Jeeps, you most likely will like the good old trains. I've seen many collections and crazy collectors with lots of trains. Lots of memories for me, especially at Christmas. It was a tradition for me growing up. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 2:21pm
Post some pictures of these old trains!
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 4:10pm
I always liked how the tinsel sparked when it fell on the tracks, also the liquid smoke you put in the engine with a eye dropper.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 4:34pm
This is one I highly modifiedfrom a 1958 American Flyer Franklin engine.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 4:35pm
How about a a speed tip, clean the tracks with steel wool. You get better power transfer! Wink
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 5:58pm
Steel wool - I learned that lesson when I was 10 years old....

Another one of my fleet - a Pennsy K5 on the move, with a 4-4-0 Atlantic in the background.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 6:12pm
Perfect smoke!!!!!  Clap
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 6:21pm
Any of you Rubicon runners go into the little restaraunt /cafe in Georgetown ? (assuming it's still there)

They used to have one that went all around the perimeter of the room on a shelf/track thru a tunnel into the kitchen and back out the other wall.

Breakfast there was something I always looked forward to.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 1:30am
Trains and Christmas: what a great combination!  Lots of good memories for me too.  We had Lionel and American Flyer when I was growing up.  

This is what fills up our front room now.  These are LGB G Scale with Pola buildings. Most people use these in outdoor layouts, but we prefer ours inside.  We put it up at Thanksgiving and take it all down sometime after New Years Day.  We invite the neighbors to bring their children over and we let them be the "Engineers". 

The "Six Locomotives" print on the wall is from Durango-Silverton.  The print at the end of the table is entitled "Stock Extra at Osier" by Gary Carter. 

Edited by jbjeeps - 11 Dec. 2018 at 1:41am
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>