Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toyota Axle swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny578 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota Axle swap
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:47am
I have decided I am not going to rebuild my dana 41 and 25, I have been looking for some axles to swap in my 2a but I'm having trouble finding passenger offset axles. I know alot of people swap in dana 44 and dana 30s but I haven't heard a lot about toyota swaps. I was thinking about putting in a front axle from a 85 4runner and a 87 fj60 rear they are passenger offset and seems to be a lot of parts available and the axles don't seem that much longer than the stock. I would also try to use 4runner leaf springs. The only issue I think I might have is getting driveshafts that will link to my dana18 I just rebuilt. Has anyone here done this kind of swap the driveshaft yokes seem different I just want to make sure I can make them bolt up before I buy them.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:35am
No experience with axle swaps, but Tom Woods can make any kind of driveline you want. All it takes is money.

http://www.4xshaft.com
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
DanStew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:56pm
You could do it three ways.

#1 use an adapter ujoint on the end of the driveshaft. One half of ujoint is spicer, and the other side toyota. This is usually special order, and if it breaks you might not find one local for a repalcement. Not the greatest of way to do it
#2 Get the adapter yoke for the toyota axle that will accept the spicer ujoint. This allows for you to get standard jeep ujonits at the local store
#3 have driveshaft built that has Jeep ujoint on one side and toyota on other and then use stock toyota flange to axle.

I like #2 since you will have the same ujoint on both sides of the shaft and you do not have to have multiple trail spares of ujoints. it keeps it simple.
Dan Stewart

1948 CJ2a
1991 Wrangler
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:17am
Are you planning to re gear the Toyota axels ?.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Are you planning to re gear the Toyota axels ?.

Lee

Might not need to re-gear... the FJ62 has 4:10 gearing. There are also some factory FJ 60/62 FF rears around. I had one under my FJ60.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:04pm
 " I know alot of people swap in dana 44 and dana 30s but I haven't heard a lot about toyota swaps."

Maybe there's a reason for that......    Wink      BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

"<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> I know alot of people swap in dana 44 and dana 30s but I haven't heard a lot about toyota swaps."</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Maybe there's a reason for that......    Wink      BW</span>

Here's a couple potential reasons: will the spring pads on the axle match the distance between the springs? How about the brake line hookups (metric vs. standard)?
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

DanStew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:46am
For the rear axle at least, he can put the correct metric fitting on teh line and then flare the line as a normal 3/16 inverted flare. I did this adapting a toyota rear end to my wrangler. For the front brake lines you could probably do the same thing as you mate them to the rubber lines to the calipers.

The perches can be cut off and new ones put on  :)
Dan Stewart

1948 CJ2a
1991 Wrangler
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:59am
You'll able to feel a difference in 5:38s and 4:10s with only 60horsepower to work with.

Like Bruce said, "maybe there's a reason"....... if you are repowering, well, that's a different story.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply