Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer for the Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer for the Jeep
    Posted: 22 July 2017 at 9:39pm
I stumbled across a very nice tilt bed trailer with brakes.  Jeep fits perfectly on it.  At $750 plus a few hours of cleaning up the harness and some other minor odds and ends I think it was a steal.  All the lights even work.  It has a max load capacity of 5500 #.  It also fits my tractor perfectly.  The sand is on the back of it as I had not installed the lift strut yet and that is what was required to balance the pivot.  More than likely the jeep will actually ride backwards as it will produce a better weight balance over the axle. 

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 9:46pm
That was a steal!, I've been pricing trailers, an aluminum like yours with 5500 lb capacity and brakes are $5000 and some change.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 1:54pm
Very nice trailer.  

But, loading the Jeep on it with the engine behind the single trailer axle could cause some handling issues.  I'd be very careful about how it was balanced like that.  It's a bit of a balancing act with single axle trailers.  
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 2:18pm
Your top photo has the center of gravity just ahead of the axle.  You want that, so the tongue weight is 10-15% of the gross weight.
BOULDER 48 2A
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 3:23pm
Good looking M38.  Looks like a handy trailer too.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:55pm
Some say that the fore/aft center of gravity in our jeeps is very near the transfer case. I've used that as a guide and it seems to work well. I did scale my CJ2-A once and IIRR, the front weight was 51% of the total, with 49% on the rear, so turning it around won't make much difference.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 10:05pm
The CG as documented on the M38 data plates is 36.5" from front axle CL unloaded.

Muley

Edited by RICKG - 24 July 2017 at 10:07pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

The CG as documented on the M38 data plates is 36.5" from front axle CL unloaded.

Muley

Thumbs Up  And that's only 3.5" away from halfway to the rear axle CL. Makes me think the transfer case is further back than that? Where's my tape measure?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Muley

Thumbs Up  And that's only 3.5" away from halfway to the rear axle CL. Makes me think the transfer case is further back than that? Whersrre's my tape measure?  BW

Depends on the transmission and all of the other gear boxes. My old MB manual had the CG about 6" in front of the doors and 8" above the body bottom. YMMV. I load with a bit more weight to the front. Cain't hoit. I always have heavy ends of tractors loaded with the heavy ends to the front, ahead of the axles.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 24 July 2017 at 11:49pm
uncamonkey
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Muley

Thumbs Up  And that's only 3.5" away from halfway to the rear axle CL. Makes me think the transfer case is further back than that? Whersrre's my tape measure?  BW

Depends on the transmission and all of the other gear boxes. My old MB manual had the CG about 6" in front of the doors and 8" above the body bottom. YMMV. I load with a bit more weight to the front. Cain't hoit. I always have heavy ends of tractors loaded with the heavy ends to the front, ahead of the axles.

Ok how bout we stick with the CG of an M38 since that's what he's loading.. not mb's or tractors..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:06am
All sound advice.  The biggest problem I had was not the trailer, it was my truck.  The trailer originally has some crazy trailer brake controller on it that would not interpret what the truck was sending it and would immediately lock up the trailer wheels regardless of speed or setting.  Once I removed that controller from the trailer then the brakes would not work at all.  After hours and lots of descriptive language I found out that my truck will not apply trailer brakes below 11 mph, which made my attempts to test everything rather frustrating while stationary.  Everything is now working as it should to include my understanding of my trucks systems.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:54am
I was just describing what was in my MB manual as I remember it. I was driving a dump trailer over to a friends house loaded up with broken concrete and every time I turned on the right turn signal, the trailer brakes locked up. Just a part of life.
We fixed it and his truck wiring. My Kenosha brake controllers work great.
uncamonkey
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:43pm

It would appear the problem I was having was the trailer was designed for a vehicle that did not have a brake controller in it, as a result the 7 blade plug only had 4 blades on it and the trailer would do the interpreting for braking.  Once I set it up so that the truck was responsible it took care of the problem. 

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2017 at 12:18am
That trailer looks like a sweet little....WITCH Wink
Total score Clap
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2017 at 10:09am
Very nice trailer. Looks like it could haul twice the weight your putting on it. I like it !
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2017 at 12:22pm
Those Ditch Witch trenchers are heavy, great trailer for your jeep.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2017 at 2:39pm
I love that the trailer is narrow. It does limit it for some things, but the bed is only 62" wide. It makes towing it down the narrow roads by me super easy. It is only as wide as the pickup towing it. It is built like a tank. It is 2100# empty. The tilt-bed is also super nice for loading. 
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2017 at 2:59pm
That's a great find. I'll need to watch the postings around here. Well done.
48 CJ2A
14 JKR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>