Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer ID anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by hillbilly21 hillbilly21 wrote:

DID YOU GUYS CONSIDER EARLY M 100 ...???

There are no corner grab handles Paul.  I still say Willys MBT.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 3:32pm
MY BAD...EmbarrassedEmbarrassed
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 12:04am
I spent the afternoon lying on the garage floor inhaling lead paint dust.....and then I decided to work on the trailer LOL. Here are a few more pics and a little more info:

1) Data Plate: If yours is present, what is the info stamped on it? How many "fields" are available for stamping info?
No data plate
2) USA Number: Wet sand an upper corner area to see how many coats of paint are on the rear panel. Then SLOWLY wet sand right under the rear top hook to find the "USA", in doing that you will now know what to look for when you sand just above the lower frame rail looking for the eight numbers usually found on the rear panel...you may find White or Blue paint used here.
Rear panel not present
3) ACM Number: American Central MFG. made the tub/frame assembly. They put a number on the gusset plate under the left front spring hanger so remove it and wire-wheel the gusset looking for numbers about 7/16" in height. You may find a "B" or "W" in front, behind or below the number.
W 4011
4) Upper Shock Mount: Is it threaded or cotter-pin type? Is it RIVETED or BOLTED to the frame?
Cotter Pin, Bolted to frame
Is the LOWER shock mount threaded or cotter-pin?
Cotter Pin
5) Is the axel a straight tube, with a welded seam in the middle or does it have a center cast section?
Has center cast section which is stamped "3"

6) Springs: How many leaves in the springs? Eight or ten? Standard FLAT Willys type or a flattened "U" shape? Are the spring clips with the closure on the top or the bottom?
8 leaves. I think they are U shaped. They are flat but the bottom edges are beveled. Is that a "U"?
7) Taillights & Reflectors: What is the mfg of the taillight buckets and doors?
Can't find any marking on the buckets. The smaller light in each one is marked "ARROW, USA, MEDFORD NJ".
What about the reflector bezels?
Bezels stamped "BROWN" and "No 100 CIN". Lens are "GROTELITE"
Check to see if the reflectors have the bolt HEADS inside the tub. See if they have any lead washers on them.
Yes, lead washers are present
8) Taillight Mounts: Standard "L" brackets bolted to the tub or welded on?
Drivers side welded, passenger side bolted. I think it was originally welded though.
9) Numbers: Look on the top or sides of the drawbars, check the edge of the front of the tub where the handbrake is bolted and look on the left side of the frame near the front of the trailer frame. Any numbers stamped there?
Couldn't find anything but not exactly sure where to look and any markings could be covered by multiple coats of paint.
10) Bolts: Check the markings (if any) on the bolt heads on the fenders or other bolts on the trailer. (A, AA, EC, BC or others or none?)
Fender bolt heads marked "A"
11) Unit Numbers: Most outfits did NOT mark the rear frame beneath the tub with the unit info but some did. Wet sand this area carefully also, there may be several coats of paint and several units markings!
Did not sand to try and find these numbers.

Edited by Ryan_M - 03 May 2012 at 12:08am
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 7:16pm
Here's an e-mail directly from Chuck Lutz. Looks like it is very likely a '42 Willys MB-T. Thanks to Chuck (and everyone else who replied here) for the info.

Hi Ryan…

That Willys MB-T has a pretty cool tailgate from a later CJ jeep adapted to it!

It is a very early Willys ¼ ton but I don’t have any others with an ACM number close to yours that has a data plate to cross reference with so this is a pretty GOOD estimate. While you are doing the restoration on this trailer I may get some additional info to tighten up the estimate so I suggest you get back in tough with me on this one at that time to see I can improve the estimates for you!

For now….

Willys MB-T

Serial Number:  3467

DOD:                8-42

USA Number:  0160336

Best Regards,

Chuck Lutz

Edited by Ryan_M - 04 May 2012 at 9:23pm
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:43pm
Chuck's the man on these military MBTs and T3s if you can give him an ACMor USA numberThumbs Up
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
FLYINGFISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2012 at 10:10am
FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"
FLYINGFISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2012 at 10:15am
Hello Ryan_M

I have been looking for a good sample of an unusual trailer and yours meets my requirements just perfectly. If you don't mind I would like to base my 1/2 Scale build on yours.

This will go perfectly with my 1/2 Scale CJ-2A 
(Project. http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/1-2-scale-cj2a-project_topic26456.html)

Best regards,

Marc & Jarred.
FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2012 at 11:50am
Originally posted by FLYINGFISH FLYINGFISH wrote:

Hello Ryan_M

I have been looking for a good sample of an unusual trailer and yours meets my requirements just perfectly. If you don't mind I would like to base my 1/2 Scale build on yours.

I'd be honored. Let me know if you would like any additional photos or measurements.
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Estendog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estendog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:33pm
Hi Marc & Jarred,

Here from Holland..

I am also searching the internet for drawings with sizes.
but do not continue until I have logged in on this website and I come across your project and am very impressed by your jeep.
so please be able to receive drawings from you.
thank you very much.
photos will follow when I start ...
greets,
GregorySmile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12