Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X47CJ2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer wiring
    Posted: 22 Oct. 2013 at 7:10am
Great post by bkreutz on modifying Model A tail lights and trailer wiring.  I think I could actually do my own by following his post, but where do you get a WWII military socket and plug?  I have searched without success.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2013 at 4:01pm
IIRC, I got the socket from one of the vendors (Ron Fitzpatrick I think) and the trailer plug (with pigtail) on EBay. Took a while to find them though. Good luck.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
X47CJ2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X47CJ2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2013 at 5:07pm
Thanks.  I've got time.  Just collecting parts right now.
CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2013 at 3:12pm
Hi,
bkreutz, could be possible to share the link about the modifying a Ford A lamp  ?
I have a SPEN trailer and I guess I could adapt one of those rear lights.
Cheers,

CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2013 at 8:09pm
Charlie, it's on the Bantam T3-C page. http://bantamt3c.com/bantamtaillampproject.htm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2013 at 8:56pm
Hi my friend.
I appreciate your info. As I mentioned before, I have a Spen model S, and I´m lost regarding rear light, plate bracket, etc, because it´s practically impossible to find information about these parts.
For that reason, I guess that maybe the Spen had same Arrow lights as Bantam had.
Of course it´s impossible to find an Arrow lamp in Argentina, but Ford A rear lights are very popular, so I will try to adapt one of those lamps.
Cheers,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:47pm
Hi Gale, 
just to finish the topic.
I found a Dietz tail lamp, which looks very similar to the Arrow 41 lamp.
I also made myself a tail light and License plat bracket for the Spen trailer.
Here are some photos of both.
I till have a challenge to resolve.
The back of the Dietz lamp is totally different from MODEL A and ARROW 41.
I´m trying to guess how may I connect the wire.
Any idea/comment?
Thanks in advance.

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 5:26am

Charlie,

I also have the Dietz as my "look a like" tail lights.  I've been reading and searching and haven't finished yet.  Here's what I know so far.  You'll need a plug in that locks into those slots much like a bulb does.  It will have tabs on either side that should be asymmetrical (can only go in one way) to keep the contacts at the correct location for the tail and stop lamps.

The plug will be similar to these:

Hope this helps to get you started.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 2:20pm
Hi Rus,
Thanks a lot for your information and advice !!Smile
I was thinking in something like that, similar and those used in the military Jeeps, but I´m not sure if it would work on my tail lamp.
The back of the lamp is this.
I asked to the shop if the part would fit.
Cheers,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2014 at 12:13am
Hi,
I´m working on the trailer lights connection.
The Jeep´s frame has a hole where the cables can go through (red circled), but I don´t know if its correct do that.
Maybe someone has a better tip.
My other question is how long the cable from the Jeep must be and where is attached when is not connected to the trailer.
Cheers

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2014 at 2:22pm
Does your jeep still have the round cover plate by the drivers side tail light? I've seen a lot of guys use that  to install a WWII style trailer plug, then use a separate removeable cable to go from jeep to trailer...(Or just make the wires on the trailer long enough to reach it paying attention to how long it would need to be on a tight right turn..)

Your way would  work but you'll have to coil that wire up and tuck it somewhere when you are without the trailer...I'd use a small bungee cord but it would look a bit ugly. Perhaps shortening that cable and installing a four prong trailer connector on the rear crossmember somewhere would be neater, again using a long wire bundle from the trailer to hook up to it. I've has a bunch of jeeps that have used the trailer connectors, so I assume they were available in the 50's at least if not in the 40's...
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2014 at 11:31pm
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate .
Yes my CJ has the round cover plate on the back.
I don´t want to use the WWII trailer plug.
I bought the from VWOM the T3-C wires 

Cheers,
 Post Reply Post Reply