Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission issue
    Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 5:56pm
I am getting ready to connect my motor and transmission/transfer case back so that I can put them back into the Jeep.  As I was moving the transmission, I noticed that it will not shift into first or reverse.  It shifts into 2nd and third just fine.

What should I do before putting this all back into the Jeep?

Thanks,
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 7:41pm
Maybe the gear teeth are not lining up. Rotate the input shaft and try again. If that doesn't help then pull the shift tower off and check it out.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 7:54pm
The spur gears on the 1st and reverse slider gear (mainshaft 1st and reverse gear) sometimes butt each other when the transmission isn't in operation. If the shift tower is off the transmission, then try to slide the 1st and reverse slider gear into each position. There should be no hesitation in the sliding of the gear as there is no detent on the mainshaft. If it moves freely, then the possibly the problem lies in the shifter. When installing the shift tower, make sure it is in the neutral position and that both shift forks align with the 1st and reverse gear and 2nd and 3rd gear shift fork cuts in the hubs of each gear.

If it still doesn't shift freely when the shift tower is on and the checks I have given then something else is wrong. I would not install the transmission in the jeep until it shifts freely. You may have to turn the input gear slightly to get it to move into gear if the 1st and reverse gear happens to butt teeth.

Good luck.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 16 Feb. 2019 at 7:56pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

Maybe the gear teeth are not lining up. Rotate the input shaft and try again. If that doesn't help then pull the shift tower off and check it out.
You type faster than I do, Joe.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 12:03am
Did you miss the shift fork groove when you reinstalled the top of the T-90?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
geasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 2:27am
Thanks, I was able to rotate the input shaft and get the shifter to move.  Thanks for the suggestion
 Post Reply Post Reply