Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Triple X tranny noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2018 at 1:49am
Looks to me like those are actually the teeth on the second gear, you know the row of little teeth that the synch ring synchs with!! It looks like the brass synch ring is intact.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2018 at 4:21am
I'm seeing a couple things.  The broken pieces appear to be roller bearings that belong between the input shaft and the mainshaft.  Not sure how they could slip out of place...as they are held in place by the shoulder on the mainshaft. This gives credence that they may have slipped out of position during a past assembly...or old pieces were accidentally left in the case during a rebuild.  Then they got dislodged from their resting place on the rocky trail and found there way into the spinning gears.

I'm also a little freaked by the missing chevrons on the input shaft.  But after thinking about how the synchro clutch assembly engages third gear, I'm not all that sure that this would be that big a deal.

Time for a rebuild Gun.  You can do this.  It's actually pretty easy to do.  You might even think it's kind of fun...once it's on the bench.

Tim 

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2018 at 4:59am
You don't need my opinion but looking at your picture, you have bearing parts in there. Looking at what is left in your drain pan, you lost a synchro and some bearings. Probably because somebody put it back together wrong.
uncamonkey
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2018 at 1:38pm
The flatspot on the input shaft was a modification that allowed you to assemble the transmission with the oil slinger in place. I don't know if it was used from the factory, or only on service parts.

I agree with Tim on the way this likely happened.
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2018 at 10:49pm
Thanks for all the suggestions, diagnosis and words of encouragement.  I'll be taking my time in getting around to this one.  Time to go chase deer with a stick and a string...  Once I get back at this and get a little progress I'll update this post and keep you guys in the loop. 

keep em spinning.
Gun
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2018 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Gunslinger Gunslinger wrote:

Time to go chase deer with a stick and a string...

I just got a weird mental picture for a second...LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2018 at 1:39pm
Gunslinger,
 Glad to see you found the problem with the jeep but it looks like you have a bit of a job ahead of you. I had mentioned on the trail that it mite be in the clutch only because I witnessed a clutch pressure plate coming apart in such a way that it caused similar things to happen like we saw on the trail. Sorry if I mislead you on that but glad you found the problem. Did you find anything in the front diff? Just curious,  Mike
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2018 at 3:49pm
looks to me like someone has ground several syncro teeth off of the input shaft to allow the input shaft to be installed with the countershaft in position.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2018 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by outlw21 outlw21 wrote:

looks to me like someone has ground several syncro teeth off of the input shaft to allow the input shaft to be installed with the countershaft in position.

Someone did - the manufacturer. BW

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12