Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uwharrie trail ride

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uwharrie trail ride
    Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 2:38am
I’m working on organizing a flat fender trail ride at uwharrie ohv area. It is located in central NC. For right now the plan is to meet for a single day ride on sept 22.  Anybody interested post up. 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 4:21am
Sounds interesting! . . .   A little far for a day trip,  but I should be able to figure something out, if that day fits into schedule.
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 1:02pm
cool! Just let me know. There are a couple of campgrounds right there if you want or need to make it an overnight trip. The lot we are meeting in is a primitive campground, it only has pit toilets, but there are 2 others nearby with bathhouses and some hookups for rvs. 
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 5:17pm
Sounds fun, might just be the break I've been needing from the house work for a day! What town is it near to see how far it is from Newnan.  

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 11:30pm
Went there July 14th. Had a great time. Took Daniel trail nearly flipped it coming down the final rock face. Some idiot had parked an FJ blocking off the exit. Assume he didn't like the looks of it and went with someone else, leaving his FJ parked blocking the easier egress. Did Brown Mt. the next day. It is fun as well. A black bear ran across the road. Will be in Co. on the 22nd but if you do it again, let me know.

Steve
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 12:41am
Really, half of the fun is dealing with what you encounter out there. Not fun at the time but they are fun to hold in your mind. 2 oil pans with holes in them, a FJ 40 with a piece of an aspen wired to the tie rod, A friend totally mired his Toyota in a creek and by chance my brother showed up with the 3B I own now that night. He got stuck on a maintained gravel road as we were driving up, I don't know how he did it... We winched the guy out and he felt that he needed another run at it. Nope same holes so we winched him out again. My brother decides he has to make a run at it, Nope same holes. Winch is out again.
We all ended up there a few weeks later and I was in my 64 VW. I could slide it in quite well. On the way out I got stuck in the creek so Mike backed up his Scout and he pulled me about 6 inches and I am free. We are onto the trail and Mike suddenly stops. He has broken a rear axle shaft. OK, I look at things and figure that I can snake the VW by on the uphill side. We towed it to a wide spot and piled all of their stuff into my VW. Him and his wife and their big Samoyed plus all of their camping gear. My VW went from a nice putter putter to a bareley running putt- putt. We made it.
uncamonkey
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 3:58am
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

. . .  Will be in Co. on the 22nd  . . .

I noticed the CFCT was same week . . . would love to be out there . . .  most of us eastern guys can not travel that far,  so something closer to home might relieve the trail lust. Smile

Edited by JeepFever - 07 Sep. 2018 at 3:12am
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 5:41pm
being in CO that day would be a good problem to have! If we have a decent turnout I plan to have another, maybe next spring. If there’s enough interest we could possibly rent the group camp there and make a weekend out of it in the future. 

Uwharrie is between albemarle and Troy NC. 
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 5:51pm
Keep me in mind. One of my sons lives "down there" and he and his wife like jeeping.

Steve
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 6:18pm
Maybe we need to plan a east coast fall colors tour too. Windrock (near Oak Ridge) in TN has 70K acres of trails and scenic beauty.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 8:16pm
Our fall colors come a bit later, maybe mid-October? Next year... I'm about jeeped out this year...
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 2:05am
I love the idea of a fall colors ride in the east. My only problem is I have a hard time going anywhere for a whole weekend,as I have little kids. A couple more years and they will be able to go too hopefully. Plus fall colors mean hunting season, and I get distracted from jeeps for a while. 
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 2:18am
I probably can't do September but some east coast rides would be good.  Would like to do some of the trips out west but 2-3 day drive each way is hard to schedule.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 3:17am
I would love to take my wife on this adventure,  maybe get her hooked. Wink
Will this be a family affair,  with other wives, girlfriends, kids,  Etc. ?

I doubt she would camp,  but we could get a hotel nearby the night before.
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 3:19am
Family friendly at least. My wife and kids aren’t coming, as the 1 year old is too much to handle on the trail. I can’t speak for whether anyone else is bringing family but they are welcome. 
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 2:24am
Due to Florence and the related cleanup, we are going to have to cancel this ride for now. I hope to reschedule it later in the year, but my October is pretty well full at this point. 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 4:18am

I was wondering,  but expected this announcement. :-(

Upcoming weeks will be busy for me also.   Ironically,  I may be traveling to NC,  but instead of Jeeping fun,  it will be to help out our niece who lives about 20 miles inland of the center of Florence's landfall. Ouch

Post Reply Post Reply