Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VEC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 1:10pm
Sometimes you just have to ask for what you need, not what you *should* need.
The trick to that is knowing exactly what that is.

1946 CJ2A 14098
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 7:17pm
As far as parts for the cj2a goes the 1949 Parts manual gives s/n for all of the changes and VEC just adds to confusion.  If  VEC is going to be used then a s/n range should be used for it.  They made changes in every year.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2018 at 12:51am
I sent Harold West an email asking him if he could clarify the “VEC” definition. This was his response:

Originally posted by Harold West Harold West wrote:

Hi Jeff,

There has been quite a bit of info to show up since I have written the History of the CJ2A and the serial number database I maintain has many, many more serial numbers added.

At the time, CJ2A 34530 represented the mid-point of 1946 production and just about all the very early features of the 2A had been drop except for the Column Shifter. From looking at the latest CJ2A database, these very early features were hit or miss by mid-46. The last CJ2A I have in the database with tool indents is CJ2A 36834 and it is noted as an original Air Compressor Jeep. There are quite a few CJ2As above it that do not have the tool indents. What you see in the database is the very early features dropping off (VEC) to a CJ2A with just the early features (EC)—those that matter when you go to buy parts—Engine, Transmission, Steering etc. Think---There was an Earlier version of the Early Civilian CJ2A that does not show up in the parts manuals. In reality, the VEC tapers down to the EC CJ2A as you see these very early features drop out of production. There is no hard cut off, only what has shown up through the serial number database noting these changes.   

Several things have come to light---early CJ2A bodies were painted in “batches” as like colors tend to stack on top of each other. If you sort the data by the ACM body serial number, this is very apparent. As with anyone with a product to sell, you should rotate your stock and Willys apparently did not. The earlier bodies would be at the back of the line and as newer bodies came in, current orders would be pulled from them until the last or the bodies (which would be earlier production bodies) were pull for production. Think---First in---Last out. I have seen this through out Willys production in the serial number data. This concept contributes to the very early features coming and going.

In the write up---if you own a CJ2A # 34530 or lower, you need to research your jeep to see which of the very early features your CJ2A might have had or not.   Clearly, Willys was using up old stock as they got to it. In the CJ2A database I can clearly see a pattern of VE VE VE to VE early early and so forth as you see the very early features being dropped and then showing up again and then dropped again. This is one of the reasons I stated the CJ2A serial number database so I could keep track of these changes. Only to find out Willys really did not have a hard cut off point on the more suttle aspect of the CJ2A. If I track these changes by the ACM serial number, a more defined cut off may show up, however, very few CJ2A owners provide this information.

As far as the CJ2 test Jeeps, Fred Coldwell does an excellent job of laying out how the CJ2A came to be. He traces the roots all the way from the converted MB CJ1 up to the production CJ2As in his book.

Since we do not have a neat memo to tell us what we as collectors want to know, we are left with studying surviving Jeeps to see what they can tell us. If we have conflicting data, maybe its time to have a fresh look and update as needed.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2018 at 10:25pm
Following this lead, what is meant by an acm body #? I did find the # on the toe board. I would like to send info to Russ that keeps track of this info so if you get this, please let me know how to contact you.
Thanks,
Thad
Life is short. Buy a jeep
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2018 at 5:44am
@Thad, go here:

http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data_form.php

and enter your info.  It may take a while to collect all the info... Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Thad Thad wrote:

what is meant by an acm body #? I did find the # on the toe board.

the number on the toe board gusset IS the ACM number (American Central Manufacturing).  They supplied the bodies to Willys early on before Willys started making their own.  That number also appears on the edge of the tailgate, and should match (sometimes +/- 1 or 2).

And thank you, Jpet for sharing Mr. West's insights (and to him for sharing them Thumbs Up )...  my ACMs are off by 2, and it makes total sense that a body would arrive at Willys with matching numbers, a batch of them might be "disassembled" to all be painted the same color, and since the ACM number had no value to Willys they simply put a blue tailgate on a blue tub...

Whats never made sense to me is why ACM would number them at all, or ship matched parts like that.

Edited by mbullism - 28 Apr. 2018 at 10:20am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2018 at 1:12pm
Thanks to both of the previous replies.
Thad
Life is short. Buy a jeep
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 12:01am
I cannot believe how ling this thread has stayed alive, LOL I was just curious!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12