Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VIN Location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:24am
Great info and advice!

The uphill 4x4 restoration continues... being a Willy's amateur I suspect there will be a lot of learning along the road!

I want to overhaul the brake system.. any links to overhaul kits for this model much appreciated.

Thanks

Oli

cdn2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 6:36pm
Try this...

http://www.cj3b.info/SerialNos/SerialNosFrame.html

You might be able to recover SN from there...
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 11:03pm
May I suggest that you start a new thread for the brakes. Folks who are familiar with brakes may not look at a tread on serial numbers.  

You may find what you want by using the "Advanced Search" feature of this site. The "regular" search feature is useless.

Are you interested in "upgrading" your brakes, or does it just have to be "original"? When I researched doing my brakes, I found that the cost is very comparable.

I would look hard at going with at least 11" drum brakes off of a newer vehicle. I would want the self adjusting ones. Jeep, Ford, Dodge & International Harvester (IH), 1/2 ton pickups, Broncos, & Scouts from the 1960s &1970s would be candidates for donor rigs. As would any CJ or wagon, Willys, or Jeep.

Disc brakes would be better, but as long as I can skid the tires, I am happy. The larger drums do this.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Woods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 1:19pm
I know this is an old post but was wondering if Merc Man ever got his rig registered?
I just picked up a CJ2A that I have minimal paperwork on.
I have found 4 numbers stamped on the frame horn but nothing on the body yet.
There are no visible tags and I don't see any holes on the passenger side firewall where they would be placed. 
The engine was replaced with a 3.8 and the tailgate has been replaced
The jeep very straight with minimal rust. the frame looks solid so it is worth putting the effort into to keep it on the road.  

Any help would be great.
Thanks, Ken  
merc_man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 7:23pm
Ken,

The sheriff that came out used my engine number as my VIN, I have a bonded title which has worked well.  According to the state if I want to give them $30 now they will remove the words bonded title.  I had to jump through a few hoops, needed a bill of sale, the bond and form from the sheriffs dept saying the rig was not stolen or did not appear to be stolen.  If you go or can go the bonded title way, I would look for a group in your county to do the work, they will provide the bond for one cost and fill out the paper work usually for about $100 (for the paper work) which after doing it myself I easily spent over that much in time.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions
____

1947 CJ2a
Woods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 8:07pm
Thanks for the help
I'm going to start my search
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12