Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018 - Event Date: 29 July 2018 - 02 Aug. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2017 at 3:05am
Two observations.....he makes some good points and Jeff, you may be taking it a tad too personal.

There were alot of trails run before Tera gearsets came on the scene. (not saying they aren't handy though)

Oh well.....back to my corner.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2017 at 3:09am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

T98 vs Tera 3.15 Low.
Bottom line is that T98-A provides much lower gearing for similar cost.

T98-A with 5.38's yeilds 84/1 crawl ratio which is very good
T98-A plus Tera 3.15 Low and 5.38's gives you exceptional slow running at 108/1 crawl ratio

I would not agree with the like cost, if my memory is correct the terra flex gear set is in the $800 range or $1100 range with the bowl gear for the OD. This could be installed in a garage on the weekend with little modification.

A T-98 setup is a rather large project, if you had a donor setup to swap in as far as the trans/adapter to tc, and whatever it takes to marry the engine to the trans that would greatly help, then lengthening the front driveshaft, shortening the rear, modifying the floor etc. doesent happen in a weekend. If no donor is available it would take time to source all the needed parts to complete the project. Herm sells a drop in rebuilt T98 for $1650. And then you also will lose clearance with the larger trans.

Granted the T98 crawl ratio would be preferred but for most the Terra-low setup makes the most sense, if your serious both make the most sense

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2017 at 3:54pm
I'm in!! I'm doing a thread about getting my jeep ready for this fun trip.

Thanks
Jay

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 3:18pm
Bringing this back up just to remind everyone that this is going to happen so if your jeep is in need of any new components, you might want to get with Santa now.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 8:17pm
Jpet
My previous comments were meant to be somewhat instructional, not confrontational.
We talked briefly at this years FCT.
Once I introduced myself to you, you asked me, more or less, to prove myself, my abilities and my Jeeps abilities by going along with you on the "challenging" trail rides that you or others were to lead.
Normally, I would have obliged you.
However, my wife and I had already agreed that we were attending FCT to see just that: Fall colors.
Maybe you perceived that as a "cop out" ?

I have nothing against anyone who wants to try the extra credit line going over obstacles; I would sometimes do that myself. But I'm more cautious and less aggressive  when I'm 1200 miles from home and I need to flat tow the Jeep home.

I was hoping that my post and comments would be taken on the positive side and that a person would take that knowledge and learn something from it.

I was born into a Jeep family. I've been in Jeeps since I was 4 years old. I'm now 58. I've owned/built my Jeep since 1974. What I have learned from others over the years I try to pass onto others.

Merry Christmas to all.

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2017 at 10:43pm
Jpet wrote:

"Speaking for myself, no doubt I can use all the experience I can get. I am on my second year of my "serious" wheeling career. ..... having said that, I have read your post a few times but I want to be clear. You are saying that if you would have been with us, you could have driven Lumpy up all those obstacles by choosing a better line and allowed the Jeep to walk up all those ledges and rocks without touching the gas, I.e. "let the jeep crawl over the obstacles"?"

Speaking from my experience (born and raised in Colorado, wheeling since 76) I feel you ARE limited by the mechanics of ones Jeep. A stock CJ2 is simply not geared low enough for some of the more aggressive obstacles one can encounter. Not to mention the short wheel base, though helpful at times, there are places you need a little speed to grab the other side to help pull yourself over. I do agree that crawling is the best approach if possible, however, a difficult obstacle will kill the engine plain and simple if there is no throttle is given. The gatekeeper is a great example of a obstacle that looks easy but is far more difficult than one expects. I honestly don`t think a stock 2a can navigate it without aid.  (I should google that before I make such a statement, likely a video out there showing just that ;) )
Just my 2cents Jeff

43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2017 at 11:08pm
Thanks for your input Jim and Dennis.

It’s all good.   If someone wants to come with their, “bone stocker”, “locker stocker”, or “hardly stocker”, we will all work together and have a good time. I do ask that everybody’s Jeep is maintained though. Breakage happens but let’s make sure the breakage was caused by the Rubicon and not due to poor maintenance. Make sense?

Hope both you guys will join us
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 5:38pm
How much fuel was need last year buy the “stock” guys?
Thanks
Jay
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 5:49pm
Well, none of us carried over 5 extra gallons. I did dump in about 2/3 of my Jerry can towards the end but I did have plenty to spare at the end.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 6:33pm
I went thru the entire trail on less than 10 gallons. I did put my extra 5 gallons in on the way to South Lake Tahoe, which was about 20 miles from Tahoma, where we exited the trail.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 1:00am
Great so only one extra can should be enough.
Thanks
Jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2017 at 2:56am
What are the dates again?? July 29 to ???
Thanks
Jay
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2017 at 3:25am
The banner on this thread says 2 Aug.  Could be sooner than that at maybe later if there is trouble. Last year it took us about 3 days, but we hope to not have as many breakdowns next time. If we get through in a hurry, we might take on something else.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2017 at 5:18am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

The banner on this thread says 2 Aug.  Could be sooner than that at maybe later if there is trouble. Last year it took us about 3 days, but we hope to not have as many breakdowns next time. If we get through in a hurry, we might take on something else.

Yep right in front of me!!!
Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 2:48pm
Are any of you guys still running on 6 volts? 
Jay
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 2:55pm
me

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 6:22pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Would this item I found on eBay today help with the trip next summer??
Thanks
Jay

Jay,
Last year we managed to make it through without any of us having that particular modification, but I'm sure we would have had fewer problems if we would all have been equipped with that.   Wink
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>