Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water port on engine block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water port on engine block
    Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 2:49pm
Been putting my 47 CJ-2A back together.  Got the radiator and water pump on today.   There is a port at the front of the engine block that pours out water.   When we took it apart there was an elbow from that port into the water pump.   Is this important?  Do I need to hook that back up?  Or can I just plug it?   

Added a picture of the motor before we broke it apart.  And one of the rebuild! No idea why its sideways. 

Thanks! 

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 3:24pm
It looks like you have a bypass hose.  I didn't know the L-heads had them.  I did find a reference at the bottom here:
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/water-pumps_topic2778.html

Discussion on the 3B Page seems to suggest its use when a heater wasn't installed.

A plug should be inserted in both the head and pump if no bypass hose is used.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 10:06pm
you say pours out of the block... are we talking about the 90* bypass hose from the head to the water pump?  It think helps preheat the head before the thermostat opens
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
NealzWorld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 12:27am
Awesome.    Thanks guys.   And good info there on the thermostat.  
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 2:22am
You have a 3A head on your 2A!, that’s why the bypass hose. An improvement in my opinion 👍

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 2:52am
Ha.   So the 2A's didn't have it?   3A's did?   Mine doesn't and won't have a heater.   Would I still need to hook this up?   Or just plug it.  
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 3:26am
Originally posted by NealzWorld NealzWorld wrote:

Ha.   So the 2A's didn't have it?   3A's did?   Mine doesn't and won't have a heater.   Would I still need to hook this up?   Or just plug it.  

It makes no difference if you have a heater or not!, you could remove the nipple from the head and water pump and plug both!. Obviously the bypass hose was an improvement to the engine on the 3A.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 3:32am
Yes hook it up because the cooling system will work better.

DonH
1946CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 11:55am
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it... oh, wait- LOL
Absolutely nothing like taking a perfectly good part you searched out and paid fair money for...and drilling a hole in it-
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 2:12pm
Ha.  Man I can't believe you drilled a hole in that thing.   That's awesome.  Well I have the parts I'll just get a hose and hook it up.   Seems too easy not to.    

Thanks everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply