Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welder Broke!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welder Broke!
    Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 1:20pm
I have been using a cheap Clarke brand mig welder for probably 18 years on everything I've ever worked on...Friday I took the day off to get 8 hours of uninterrupted garage time to finally finish putting the floor into the driver's side.

Long story short, my welder started being weird and not pushing the wire through properly.

I tested it out on the bench and it was definitely broken. I tore it down and it has a stripped gear in the gearbox that drives the wire.

I started looking for a replacement welder on craigslist, and then it struck me to check eBay. I found brand new units that are motor and gearbox all in one unit so I should be back in business in a few days.

I have a large TIG welder also, but when you are hunched over a floor, tucked between bracing members, a mig welder is so much easier to use.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2017 at 7:49pm
Bob3b...just thought I mention in case you weren't aware, that they make a torch mounted current control so you don't have to deal with a foot peddle when tiging(new word?) Joe wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2017 at 2:04pm
Wadoyado, I did not know that. I think that would be a handy thing. Is that made by Tweco or some other company?
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2017 at 1:27am
I had one of those hand controls, small sliding switch that had velcro straps to fasten to torch. I liked it but my son didn't and took it off, he uses one of those wireless pedals know, I've seen him run it with his elbow. He's a fabricator for a race shop so I let him have his way.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2017 at 2:55am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

I had one of those hand controls, small sliding switch that had velcro straps to fasten to torch. I liked it but my son didn't and took it off, he uses one of those wireless pedals know.
           Yup that's what I was talking about. I used one on a Lincoln welder in a die shop I worked at.(not as much current control as a foot peddle but worked).....Bob you said large tig welder not knowing the brand might want to check your local weld shop. Also I checked on prices for my Miller 175.00 not cheap. Leecarr wireless pedals? Wow! I've been out of it too long. Hows that work? Thanks joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2017 at 12:18pm
I bought a Hobart 140 in June 2015 new, probably used it about an hour. 2 weeks ago I tried to turn it on, and nothing! I found the nearest (50 miles away) certified repair shop and got it fixed under warranty! Welded in a spindle on a John Deere mower and did the backyard. Maybe I'll try some body work on a Jeep now.
Rick Estes
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2017 at 10:30pm
I think the wireless pedal can be hooked up to any welder, there's a small transmitter that plugs in where the cable from the pedal goes, not cheap though.
 Post Reply Post Reply