Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

welding body patches with fuel tank in vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: welding body patches with fuel tank in vehicle
    Posted: 27 June 2017 at 2:26pm
my floors and mid section body work is done. Still have rear section bodywork to go. Having the jeep in drivable  condition  would be a huge time saver.  so I'm looking for opinions on a bad idea. Installing the fuel tank. I'll admit I've welded body parts onto every vehicle I've owned and never once considered removing a fuel tank prior. Yes I know there is a risk but normal vehicles have sealed fuel systems. The tank is under the body it's a fairly minimal fire risk and one I'm willing to accept. The willys however is a whole other thing. Maybe it's the small size or the fact that the tank is sitting right on top with nothing but  the seat to hide it but I'm more concerned  by it.

What are the general opinions? I know the safest answer is  to pull the tank and put it far far away but... in reality  would you guys   weld rear fender patches and things  with tank still in place?
Oh might weld btw if that makes a difference. My torch skills are not good when it comes to welding sheet metal.

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 5:38pm
I kept mine drivable for most of the time,used a small lawn mower tank that I could quickly remove while I did welding/grinding. If you are talking about in\out of garage and around yard you could do the same thing, a boat tank with the disconnect would work even better.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 5:53pm
I like the idea of quick disconnect.  getting the tank out is still kind of a project but it has possibly. Probably  better than the explosion hazard of sparks flying onto the tank. It's far from air tight. I can usually smell the fuel vapor if it sits on a hot day. Perfect for ignition of fuel from nearby sparks.
Way better than the soda bottle hanging from the window frame method I used to get it on the trailer.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 3:55am
Originally posted by mike@iim mike@iim wrote:

I can usually smell the fuel vapor if it sits on a hot day.

That right there is what I would call a clue.  And I don't always pick up clues easily.  Usually I trip over them and still can't pick 'em up.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 5:00am
How many millions of ciggs have been smoked while sitting on a Willys or Ford Jeep gas tank?

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 1:59pm
Mike, if you can smell fumes from the tank, you need to remove it before you weld or grind near it.  Don't let us send flowers to your widow saying "I told him so."  Go buy a one gallon plastic gas can, drill a hole near the bottom of one side, then thread a brass fitting in it so you can attach a quick disconnect to it.  Run a hose from your fuel pump up to the front fender and put the gas can there.  some duct tape will hold it in place if you're just driving in and out of the garage. 

This mod will also give you time to check out your gas tank to see why you are smelling fumes.  Need a new sender gasket?  Got pinhole leaks underneath?  Check it out and fix that too.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 2:05pm
The tank was the first thing removed  from the jeep before pulling it into  the shop. It just makes me nervous seeing it sitting there in the welding shop. The tank has lived in the shed since but I'm at the point that I need it in to measure for seat fabrication  and it would be far easier to drive jeep in and out of garage quickly.  it's a small space so getting to things with ajeep in the wave comes a 20 minute adventure of pushing the jeep out. Pushing it back in. Another few weeks and body will be done but I know I have future plans and things that will need welding so I'm looking to minimize  the pushing and pulling of a 2000 lb chunk of metal
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 10:06pm
We took a local boy in a ride on Air medical a while back who was working on an old tractor.  Welding near a "empty fuel tank... it blew all the widows out of the shop and a hole in the roof!ExclamationShocked  He wasn't in very good shape...might have taken a few min to remove the tank...
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 10:32pm
Gasoline vapors = dynamite. Ka-Boom!
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 7:02pm
Pulling the tank is the safest way. But you might think about this.   Drain the tank.  Run the engine to run out any gas in the tank and lines.  Pour in two or three bottles of 50% isopropyl alcohol from the dollar store (or 70% if you can't find it).  This will mix with any remaining traces of gas and make it pretty much not ignitable.  You can drain this too or leave it until you refill with gas.  There is water in the Isopropyl so I wouldn't leave it for very long.  Put the gas cap on.

Then, somewhere along your gas line, like at a filter, tap in the spare fuel tank of choice.  Remove the spare tank from the area when welding.  This should provide a pretty safe welding environment.  But remember safety, other things can ignite.  Keep extinguishers nearby and leave an escape route.

Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 7:05pm
also, if you want to pull the tank, consider getting some car dollys.  They are fairly cheap and let you move your vehicle around easily.
SYLVANWILLYS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 2:31am
Assuming no active leaks/drips, then vapor leaks from the vented tank cap and from the sender unit/gasket on top of the tank would seem to be the main danger.  Would putting water soaked rags over/around any such potential vapor leak points basically dilute the gasoline vapors so they could not ignite?
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:07am
Oops
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by mike@iim mike@iim wrote:

I can usually smell the fuel vapor if it sits on a hot day.

That right there is what I would call a clue.  And I don't always pick up clues easily.  Usually I trip over them and still can't pick 'em up.

Yep. I finally removed my tank the second time I set it on fire... Ouch

I'm not too bright some times
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:35am
I have the tank out while I finish the body. The boat tank quick connect idea sounds great, but I've been too busy to find matching quick connects. Once the heavy body work is done it will be fine. I replaced the gas cap and put a vent line from the fuel sender back to the carb and a shut off valve. Now that the tank doesn't smell like gas  anymore and the fuel system is mostly sealed I'll just close the fuel valve let the engine suck the remaining fuel in and stall out for the remaining little stuff that needs to be welded here and there. It was mostly welding and cutting the body that had me concerned. The tank was just too close and too open and too leaky to risk it. It should be returning from the shed soon I hope.
 Post Reply Post Reply