Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your Jeep today - April 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your Jeep today - April 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 2:01am
Thanks for the response. I never knew that's how they worked. Wonder if running with one of these hubs and a stock hub is a problem.
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 2:05am
Figured out why my tail lights buzzed every time I hit the switch

LOL
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 2:10am
Ok, that's funny
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 2:44am
Originally posted by 48walker 48walker wrote:

Thanks for the response. I never knew that's how they worked. Wonder if running with one of these hubs and a stock hub is a problem.

Wouldn't be a problem.  You can mix and match any hubs you want, the sides work completely independently of each other.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 3:33am
So if the dualmatic can either be locked or unlocked, is the stock hub always locked?
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 3:50am
Stock is always locked.  There are a few different unlocking hubs that work in different ways, but basically all do the same thing: disconnect the hub from the axle and reconnect when you want to.

People almost never run an unlocking hub on one side and an always locked hub on the other.  But there's no problem with doing in.  And actually the Center Axle Disconnect used on a bunch of different trucks in the '80s or '90s did essentially that.  The CAD would disconnect the long front axle in the center.  That allowed the ring gear and driveshaft to stay stationary while the axles spun.  Of course that meant that the side and spider gears in the differential were spinning too.

Personally I was never a big fan of that type of system.  And I wouldn't recommend using an unlocking hub on only one end of an axle.  But can you?  Yes.  (And obviously if you keep the one unlocking hub locked all the time then both hubs are always locked and it's the same as stock.)
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 4:05am
Thanks, I appreciate the explanation. I'd kind of prefer to keep stock, but the dualmatic looks pretty beefy. Guess it will depend on which one I find first.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 2:12am
Saturday: Replaced the transfer case output seals. All day affair. (Well into the night too.)

Sunday: Replaced the homemade hood blocks, installed missing bolts in fenders and grill, Took her for a couple of test drives to look for leaks. No leaks and a lot less vibrating and rattling parts. 

Today: Looked underneath. No GL1 puddle. Fingers crossed that she is all sealed up. Also, in the mail from Canada, came my used M-416 lunette. Yeah! Those are hard to find. $180

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 2:55am
I just welded a few tabs on my gas cap for a better grip when removing the gas cap .
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 7:20am
Hey! Good idea, Gil! I'm kinda new to this, tell me, do you do that with the cap on, or off? Confused  

LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Hey! Good idea, Gil! I'm kinda new to this, tell me, do you do that with the cap on, or off? Confused  

LOL   BW

I had to do it because  I have arthritis and some time the cap was really hard to remove.Its fun getting older GeekAlso my cap is in a tight location.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 11:51am
I think you start with it on ...😉
Rick Estes
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 8:58pm
Gil,
  Maybe now a socket made from a piece of PVC pipe or something that would slip over the cap as it was, with a couple of notches cut in it to engage the new pins, would help as well.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 9:10pm
Just had a new muffler and custom tailpipe put on my 2A today.  Its finally sounds civilized.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2018 at 4:10am
I pushed it back further behind the house to be out of the public view.
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2018 at 1:45pm
Put a larger drip pan under mine, gotta figure out how to recycle the drippings. 
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 12:45am
My new seat covers came today! I took them out of the box. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 12:49am
Washed and waxed mine. The paint is pretty tired, so it didn't make a big difference. But it looks pretty good.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>