Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your jeep today? - June 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today? - June 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by eestes1 eestes1 wrote:

Drove it, between the rain spells, and got the mail.

Rick - are you coming to Richard Milam's antique jeep cookout on July 14th? He's between Culpeper and Warrenton.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:44pm
I may be a day late and dollar short on this posting. Someday, I'll need to reconstruct my spare tire mount. Therefore this picture was saved for future reference.

1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:59pm
ndnchf,  Pm sent
Rick Estes
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by cjbilly cjbilly wrote:

I may be a day late and dollar short on this posting.

This comes up quite often so this will be a big help to people in the future.....good reference.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 9:20pm
The rear view mirror arm on Popeye broke to day. Broke off down by the bottom bolt.  I have some exchanger tube that I fashioned into a new mirror arm.  Thicker walled than the arm that broke.  Should last longer. 

Edited by 64CJ5 - 23 June 2018 at 12:26am
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 5:50pm
I bought the entire brake kit (drums,shoes,lines, wheel and master cyl.)from Walcks about 5 years ago and have decided to start putting new brakes on my '47  2a, 96661. I am retired(Nov. 2017) firefighter with a jeep sitting in my garage for 2 houses!!! Anyway, first brake job, PB'd all connections last week and about to begin. I already broke the first codder(thats not correct spelling) pin and also have to stop to go to store for a socket big enough for the nut on the outside of the drum/axle. I have the garage to myself and good music so, whats
's the hurry!!

Met a couple fella's two weeks ago at Kempton and excited to join the gang. Any good videos to review before I do something I'll regret later?
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 6:42pm
Will be putting the Ross box back together today.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 8:20pm
I took the Trico wiper motor off, dismantled and cleaned it (some). I have some parts soaking in Kroil and those have freed up. Its in pretty bad shape and i may need to replace some parts.
Rick Estes
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 9:02pm
I started mending the roof over my jeep by replacing some rotten purlins in the shop. Two down and four to go!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 9:13pm
Yesterday, I sat on the driver's seat and went to pick up a gas grill.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 11:05pm
This at last. 
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:07am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 4:07am
overhauling two generators- fit the commutator end bearings and bushed two worn mounting holes
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 5:04am
Pulled the fuel pump off the farm jeep and cleaned it and finished the fuel lines, everything worked great but the fuel tank has developed a leak since I took it out of the 2a. Decided to fix the tank another day and go for a little ride in the 2a .
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 10:04pm
I drove the '48 over to visit a buddy with a '42 MB, about 15 miles away. While we were tinkering on his MB the skies darkened, and a storm moved in. So I skedaddled for home (no top on the jeep). Drove through light rain most of the way. But the last mile, the skies opened up and I got soaked. I learned two things. One - the drivers side vacuum wiper doesn't work very well, but the passenger side does pretty good, so I need to swap them. Two - I need to treat the windshield with Rain-X to reduce the need for windshield wipers :-)
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 10:41pm
Not the sharpest pencil in the case when it comes to troubleshooting so I hired a guy from work to get the ole tossed salad running for me....then it will get a rollback ride back to Maltaville NY where I can get to work cutting a lot of the stuff that I won't be needing for it to roll down the road...
I am the squirrel....
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 2:46am

So, I just had a small project to do and then I was going to do some things around the house. That was eight hours ago and I did nothing around the house.

I got a rain gutter to install since mine was MIA. I’m hoping it solves my “yellow pudding” problem. https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/yellow-pudding_topic42467_post418768.html?KW=yellow+pudding#418768

This is not an easy install to do by yourself since the gutter goes under the hinge. With some tie straps, I managed to hold the hood and get it in. Getting the bolts tightened was a challenge since the gutter gets in the way.  I see why sometimes they don’t get reinstalled. The next (next) time I do it, I will get some hex head bolts. By the way, make sure your radiator support is in or you get to do it all over again.

I also got a new fan shroud extension. It is getting hot up her in Reno and the upper radius of the standard shroud is missing. I though the extension would just slide in. No. The fan was hitting the extension at the bottom. A PO put some really thick rubber spacers on the lower radiator mount raising it up. So out came the radiator. Nice since I just put in new anti-freeze and I just lost half of it on the garage floor.

The bottom of the standard shroud was all beat up. So, out came the hammer and dolly set.

Then, I decided the fix the weep on the upper header. So, off to Home Depot for flux, solder, nuts and bolts.

I had some rubber strips up in the attic. So, I cut some new ones.

Everything went back in with no problems until I figured the support rod would not fit with the drip rail in place. The shroud needed some tweaking to get the extension to fit.

The fan blade is now very close but does not strike. No leaks from the hoses or my solder work.

Now, after a cup of coffee, I will take her out to the grocery store. I guess I will work around the house next weekend. Maybe…

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 3:24am
Well lets see I got up at 4am when the wife left for work. I got into the spray booth at around 6am. I got two nice coats of paint on the exterior of the hood. And then I discovered I had mixed up a can of Reducer with the Activator that the paint is supposed to be mixed with.

I panicked and after about 20 min of searching found a discussion of this same problem on line. Which made it clear even though the paint seamed like it was setting up OK it would never get really hard.

So by 8:30 I was washing the paint off with Spray gun cleaner. It only took about 1/2-3/4 of a gallon and two rolls of paper towels.

I then flipped the hood over (inside up) and sanded the 2 coats of Blue (put on correctly) smooth with 400 grit to get it ready for a new top coat. (some of the solvent messed up a couple small areas). I then flipped it again and sanded the Epoxy sealer so I can put another coat of that on the exterior of the hood.

SO in a nut shell what I did today lost me about a week of time and progress on the paint job.

I still think I can have the paint on by the end of the fourth of July. Even with the killer work schedule we are pulling.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>