Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your jeep today - March 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today - March 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 11:26pm
cool pic with the cannons.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 12:19am
Got my order Friday of some new goods for  “TJ Hooker” my crawler. Nothing too exciting just freshening things up.  The new “twisted” Pitman arm is by GenRight it’s made for high steer TJs running heims. One of my spindles got pitted up as it took on water at some point. So... all new brngs,races,seals etc,etc.

46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 1:05am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

I took my '48 out for its first long shakedown drive, about 45 minutes. It was chilly, about 40 degrees today, but it went well with no major problems - Yay!  

Good to hear the shakedown went went.    Love the photo.  Thumbs Up
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 11:51pm
OL' RED LIVES... Finished up the 11" brakes (46 Willys truck style) change out, bled the brakes, made some adjustments to the brakes shoes and test fired the job on the street in front of the house.

She's never had brakes like these brakes in her whole existence! I was amazed at the difference in braking that the 11" brakes provide. Anyway, I put about 25 miles in all kinds of traffic (small town Kansas traffic) and never felt like I wasn't going to stop when I needed to. That wasn't necessarily so with the old 9" brakes.

The Willys truck set up only has 2 adjustment points as opposed to the 9" stock brakes which should to be adjusted with 4 adjusting points and a feeler gage. I could never get it right!

I am impressed. Temps are in the 70's tomorrow...I can seriously see me out putting some miles on the old girl...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 12:45am
I envy you bro! I’m in Pa... total bs here. 
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 9:20pm
My new carb, fuel filter and fuel line arrived today from Scoutpilot - wahoo!

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

OL' RED LIVES... Finished up the 11" brakes (46 Willys truck style) change out, bled the brakes, made some adjustments to the brakes shoes and test fired the job on the street in front of the house.

She's never had brakes like these brakes in her whole existence! I was amazed at the difference in braking that the 11" brakes provide. Anyway, I put about 25 miles in all kinds of traffic (small town Kansas traffic) and never felt like I wasn't going to stop when I needed to. That wasn't necessarily so with the old 9" brakes.

The Willys truck set up only has 2 adjustment points as opposed to the 9" stock brakes which should to be adjusted with 4 adjusting points and a feeler gage. I could never get it right!

I am impressed. Temps are in the 70's tomorrow...I can seriously see me out putting some miles on the old girl...
...and I did put some miles on the old girl.

After making a minor adjustment to the left front brake, my brother and I took off for the backroads in the county and put 55 miles on her, including 5 miles on extremely non-maintained trails that are around the lake near where I live. These are trails that have limestone shelves that have to be negotiated slowly...so I test fired the low range both down the trail and back up. The transfer case in low range was pretty quiet since I had replaced the case, intermediate gear and shaft with the 1 1/4" setup. The old transfer case had howled like a banshee in low range.

The weather in Southeast Kansas has been unseasonably dry and warm for March. It would be nice if we got at least part of the snow that you guys in the Northeast have had dumped on you. You don't need it, and we sure could use it here. There have been Red Flag Warnings posted here for the past couple of weeks.

With 50+ miles on Ol' Red, I've only found a few minor issues to work out and I'm beginning to trust her more with some daily driving around town. With some more daily driving locally, I'm sure I will have the kinks worked out enough by fall to attempt my first Fall Color Tour in Colorado. That's what I'm shooting for this year.   
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 1:27am
"I'm sure I will have the kinks worked out enough by fall to attempt my first Fall Color Tour in Colorado. That's what I'm shooting for this year."

Come ahead on, Kansas, I'm looking forward to meeting you!  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 2:08am
Today I worked on the construction of my Paint booth. I built two of the doors and hung the lights that go on them. I also got one of the Exhaust Fan panels done and the parts cut out for the other. I found someone to sand blast the Windshield frame. The guy that did my Frame his ph # doesn't work any more so I called the big commercial outfit thats been in North Salem since the late 40's and the guy said he figured it would run about 50 bucks (I'll budget 75) With less then a week turn around. He said a little job like that they just fit in between a couple other things. This will be the last thing I need to strip that won't fit in my sand blasting cabinet so I think its going that way. I just don't feel like spraying a big bag of sand all over the driveway again doing it myself.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 2:19am
Not 'today' so much as 'in the last week', but I got the skylights in the front roof replaced and the steering bellcrank pivot & bearings replaced.

I tightened down the ends of the draglink to almost max, and the steering is a bit stiff. I'm going to back them off a half turn and see where it lands.

I'm hoping to get it in for an alignment check to see what I need for caster shims.

The rear Tracker brake plates are in. I just need to line up some incidental parts and get the rear disk brakes installed.

Oh. My wife and I are going over to Spokane next weekend to look at an MB that seems to be in reasonable shape but disassembled. We may be coming home with a stablemate for Ironsides.

1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 10:17am
Like Les....more like a week's worth of work...

Sold my '48. Broke my heart a little. But it went to a nice fellow in Northern VT. Took a Sunday and delivered it up there. Was about 50 miles from Montreal! 

Got my wiring harness and started to lay it out and plan the install. I went with a modern 20 circuit set up. Yes - way overkill. I will be using only 12 in all all likelihood. But i like teh thought of being able to expand and customize. 

Installed an M8000 winch on my son's Rubicon. 

And lastly, I pulled apart the 9 inch Ford axle under my crawler. I knew i had one bad axle bearing. Well both are bad and every screw in wheel stud is bent. So going with ARP studs this time. 

Goal for this weekend is to drop the trans and swap in a different converter. I really like the Hughes unit i have. But it's just a bit to loose for crawling. So the B+M is going back in.

Been a busy week! got to get cracking to be ready for the season. 

Edited by nofender - 17 Mar. 2018 at 3:07pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 11:19am
Replaced the front wheel bearings. Had my suspicion that they were going bad for a while now. The cup on two bearings looked like a corn cob, guess I was right.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 1:22pm
I went to a yard sale this morning where they had listed "Willys jeep parts". A lot of good parts were already scooped up by early risers. But I picked up this pair of axles for $30. I belive they are a Dana 25 and 44.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 2:23pm
Nice score on the axles!

!I finally opened two boxes of jeep goodies I bought a couple of weeks ago... 
  used but very servicable 11" brake backing plates from two dana 30s of the mid 70s . Bought on set off ebay and another from the Tampa area C/L where a fellow jeeper was willing to help out and just sell the backing plates from an axle he was selling. 

Edited by jeeper50 - 17 Mar. 2018 at 2:54pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 1:09pm
Upon closer examination of my yard sale find, I noticed the the front axle has the drums on the outside of the hubs. So I think this is an M38 front axle. It looks to be a standard Dana 25 with Sears locking hubs otherwise. The rear axle is definitely a 44.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 3:39pm
 CJ3Bs have the same type drums. Those hubs are cool. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 4:00pm
Removed everything off the back of the transfer case (parking brake, bearing seal hub),
drive shaft, rear axle yoke, radiator shroud, fan blade, oil filter container, tappet cover,
battery, and drain engine oil.

I still need to remove the timing gear cover, oil pan and pump screen. If the gears are bad, them too.

After that, a lot of cleaning, painting and start putting it all back together!
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 11:02pm
Put another 63 miles on the old girl. It's getting so I might even trust her to go on a real long trip...

I would have put more miles on her but there was storm system coming through and I had to beat it back home. No top. With the windshield down shes just like a four wheel drive motorcycle.

I can't complain...this is the first moisture we have had in over a month! March can usually be counted on for some rain or snow in Southeast Kansas...not this year...at least not until now...   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>