Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your jeep today - March 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today - March 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 12:47am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Put another 63 miles on the old girl. It's getting so I might even trust her to go on a real long trip...

No top. With the windshield down shes just like a four wheel drive motorcycle.   

Thumbs Up Yeah! Big smile  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 5:46am
Yesterday I started putting up the temp walls that will turn my Carport/Garage part of the Jeep shop into a spray booth. Today I got bulbs in the 14) 4' double bulb fluorescent fixtures I have in that part of the shop 4 lights along each side wall 4 lights on the ceiling and 2) lights on the tailgate end of the shop For the Firewall end I have a Harbor Frieght dual 300 watt halogen standing fixture I will use.

It gives me a very nice even almost shadow free flat light. If I were to put up White inbetween the lights I think it would be a little to bright.

I also gave up giving up. I have the inside side of the Windshield frame down to bare metal except in the cracks and crevasses and around some of the door mounts where I couldn't get my small wire wheels or 2" sander into. I'll now go in an just have to sand blast the very last little bit of everything so doing it won't be to bad. Going to try walnut shells as a medium.

Interesting on the panel on the drivers side  I found two 1/4" holes spaced about 1.25" apart vertically brazed closed and on the passenger panel I found 3) 1/8" holes about 3/4" apart from each other running horizontal also plugged with braze. I may have to cut quarter sized holes out as it appears the brazing made big dimples in the sheet metal and I doubt I can hammer them out. A couple other holes also appeared once the paint was off. I plan on getting the whole thing down to bare metal then going after the big bow in the side frames. Followed by all the small stuff. I'm going to PC-7 seal up everything like I did the rest of the seams.

The outside side of the frame I can do easily with the slow 5" rotary sander my little 2" and wire wheels in my air drill.

OH for those keeping score I have officially killed my 5th $19.00 Harbor Freight 4.5" angle grinder.

Glad to see this one go the F-ing things Switch would not stay on so I had to hold it on with one hand all the time what a total PITA.

I see they have them on sale this week LOL

Edited by Mark W. - 19 Mar. 2018 at 5:52am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 9:42am
marathon day yesterday. 

Started by disassembling a rear D44 that looked like it came from the bottom of the sea. The hidden gem is a Warn full floater kit. Found it to be a 19 inner, 27 spline outer. I have another very clean 44 that I will swap these parts onto. Eventually I'll swing it under my project. 

Pressed on the axle bearing on the crawler axle. Upon investigation it appears I've been installing them backwards for quite a few years - hence the high failure rate. Hopefully this solves the solves the issue. 

Then i dropped the transmission, swapped the converter and reinstalled it. 

Just waiting on some parts to arrive.....and my muscles to heal.....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 11:49am

Put another 63 miles on the old girl. It's getting so I might even trust her to go on a real long trip...

I would have put more miles on her but there was storm system coming through and I had to beat it back home. No top. With the windshield down shes just like a four wheel drive motorcycle.

Love reading this...I have been told these are just that...a four wheeled motorcycle...I would someday love to drive one with the windshield down...

Gotta love Kansas too...

thanks for sharing on here...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by mikec4193 mikec4193 wrote:

I would have put more miles on her but there was storm system coming through and I had to beat it back home. No top. With the windshield down shes just like a four wheel drive motorcycle.

Love reading this...I have been told these are just that...a four wheeled motorcycle...I would someday love to drive one with the windshield down...

Gotta love Kansas too...

thanks for sharing on here...

MikeC

Yep, complete with bugs in the teeth, too!!!

In Kansas, I'm told by the authorities, you do need to wear eye protection while on public roads and streets. Good advice if you have ever been hit by a grasshopper in the eye. THAT will ruin your day...ask me how I know.

The good news is that you can put the windshield down if you want to...some days you feel like a nut, some days you don't...

MikeC: I DO love Kansas...there's just not a lot of public four wheel drive trails here.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 4:44pm

....In Kansas, I'm told by the authorities, you do need to wear eye protection while on public roads and streets. Good advice if you have ever been hit by a grasshopper in the eye. THAT will ruin your day...ask me how I know.  ....

That's probably pretty universal.  I know that in general motorcyclists need to have some sort of eye protection, glasses, goggles, face shield or windshield.  Makes sense because a bug in the eye could not only wreck your day, but also whoever you run into because you couldn't see while you were coming to a stop.

And kind of a funny related story.  I had a cracked windshield on my pickup, and some rust around it.  So I asked a local auto glass place to remove the old windshield, then I'd take it home, deal with the rust, and bring it back to have the new glass installed.  They said that they couldn't do it because it's against the law to drive without a windshield.  I tried to explain to them that motorcycles and Jeeps do it, but they were having none of it.  So I took the truck somewhere else (actually to a body shop that did the windshield and the rust).  I did Google it, just to be sure, and found lots of different sites in lots of different states that said that there is no law requiring a windshield.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 1:26am
It used to be in Kansas (and this may actually be B.S.) that you had to have windshield wipers, but there was no mention of the requirement for a windshield. According the the story, they finally got around to changing the law. I don't know if this was actually true or not.

I've never been stopped for having a windshield down, but I do have eye protection. A cop one time did try to hassle me about my windshield wipers on Ol' Red's windshield. (the windshield was up at the time) Both of the are manually operated...I told him the law says I have to have them, but doesn't specify how they are operated. His shift supervisor agreed with me...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 21 Mar. 2018 at 1:28am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 3:21am
Even if there weren't a law requiring eye protection, I'd wear it.  The first time I ever rode my motorcycle without eye protection was late one evening, I was about a mile from home.  I took off my sunglasses so I could see and IMMEDIATELY caught some kind of small bug in my eye.  Not pleasant.  Now, if I'm riding or if my windshield is down I have something protecting my eyes.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 11:35am
Well I took my tailgate off and started wire wheeling it to clean it up so I can paint it. The number on the tailgate is 50217. Does that number sound about right for the tailgate being on a 1946 CJ2A ?
Mark
1946 CJ2A
CBAUER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 4:08pm
First start on Teddy after motor reconditioning. Before start I rebuilt a glass bowl fuel pump because my new old pump did not work so I was able to take two glass bowl pumps and make a new one! Also change out the oil pump after I started the motor because of the low pressure, ( remember kids that its best to put the new stuff on before and not after your build ) that alone gave me an additional 10 psi to a hot motor at idle of 23 psi! MONEY Baby!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by sparky13 sparky13 wrote:

Well I took my tailgate off and started wire wheeling it to clean it up so I can paint it. The number on the tailgate is 50217. Does that number sound about right for the tailgate being on a 1946 CJ2A ?

How does that number compare with the ACM number on the toe-board gusset? Should be the same or pretty close (actually,it seems as if there are more that are close than there are that match). Also, how does it compare with the frame and body serial number?   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 6:28pm
Snow Prep -Last night I uncovered The Saint (which is what we call the 1946 trail Jeep), Gave him three shots of starter fluid (with upper cylinder lube)  through the oil cup installed in the air horn.  He fire right up.  Ran him for about 10 minute until he was up to temperature with 195 degree thermostat and was charging.  Once up to temp he runs about 180 degrees.   Checked the plow chain and bumped the T-5 lift.  All was ready for the work to potentially come... 

The official job of this Plow installation is ward off the snow.  The weather people were calling for 3" to 5" of heavy wet snow.  Well --  we got two inches on the grass and nothing worth plowing on the driveway.  So everything worked out perfectly - The Saint warded of the snow and the weather people were wrong again.  The plow comes off in early April.  Looking forward to driving the unmaintained county roads in South Central Ohio this Spring and Summer!    

Edited by Stev - 21 Mar. 2018 at 6:30pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Snow Prep -Last night I uncovered The Saint (which is what we call the 1946 trail Jeep), Gave him three shots of starter fluid (with upper cylinder lube)  through the oil cup installed in the air horn.  He fire right up.  Ran him for about 10 minute until he was up to temperature with 195 degree thermostat and was charging.  Once up to temp he runs about 180 degrees.   Checked the plow chain and bumped the T-5 lift.  All was ready for the work to potentially come... 

The official job of this Plow installation is ward off the snow.  The weather people were calling for 3" to 5" of heavy wet snow.  Well --  we got two inches on the grass and nothing worth plowing on the driveway.  So everything worked out perfectly - The Saint warded of the snow and the weather people were wrong again.  The plow comes off in early April.  Looking forward to driving the unmaintained county roads in South Central Ohio this Spring and Summer!    

What you should do is advertise The Saint's ability to ward off heavy snows...monetize the jeeps capability to keep heavy snow weather away from the area...that would pay for all kinds of goodies and some gas and oil.   

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 9:29pm
Painted the gas tank  (and a model t fender) 
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 12:21am
Well I got my brakes bleed today. Clap First time this Jeep had brakes in 35 Years. ClapAlso started the jeep too. ClapClap Oh what a feeling!!
Mark
1946 CJ2A
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 12:42am
Well, all right! Was able to get pic's to upload.(With help from the youngsters). I can heat my weld shop(jeep's in a different part of the barn) so I've been catching up on welding jobs, the pic is of the lights I'm bound and determined to use for rear dir. lights, silver brazed the brass to accept the more common bulb, drilling out the swag worked pretty well. Excuse the sloppy silver braze it's been a while! Used to have to be aircraft certified for a couple of oil tank bosses on the A-6 Intruder. Joe wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 10:10am
"Oh what a feeling!!" Ain't it the truth!? Congratulations!
Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2018 at 8:29pm
It's up to 48 degrees today, so it was a good time to take the '48 out for a drive around town and to visit the Marye's Heights battlefield park in Fredericksburg. It was a little chilly, but the sun felt warm.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>