Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your jeep today March 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2019 at 3:02pm
I just measured the m38 yoke as you described. It is 1.375".
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2019 at 3:48pm
I ran into a snag installing my Lock Right in my Dana 27 front differential on Thumper yesterday. The gap between locker sections was too wide. I ordered some different thrust washers that should bring it back into spec. Over the years I’ve installed Lock Rights in 3 different differentials and I’ve never had this problem. Oh well, I’ll just move onto other projects until the new thrust washers show up.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
northcoastsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2019 at 6:17pm
Pulled my rear wheels and hubs to determine what brakes I have. Seems they're 11" CJ5 brakes. I'm pretty happy about that as I can get parts anywhere and they're self-adjusting. Might look into disc brakes in the future. For now I pulled the backing plates off the axle tubes and will take them with me to work to blast and paint them before rebuilding them. Also inspected the wheel bearings and they are shot. Nice big gall marks in the cups.

Also picked up a set of GPW con rods and a distributor from chasendeer yesterday.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2019 at 8:36pm
I've been cleaning up the original Warn OD shifter and linkage. I found the holes at the rear linkage connection were wallowed out, causing a lot of slop at the shifter. So I welded to the holes, ground it flush and redrilled them. Now there is no lost motion from slop.

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 1:59pm
I drove it to the beach again but didn't take pictures.
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 5:48pm
I started to put the transmission together for the next CJ2A so it will be ready to mate to the engine when I get that far.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 8:42pm
I finished the OD shift linkage repair and test fitted it. It's close, but it fits and shifts freely. 

Damn those four shifters look cool!

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 9:14pm
Now you need one for a PTO...
uncamonkey
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 9:49pm
Ran the rebuilt engine for 20 minutes today. It sounded great.
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 3:58am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Reminds me of a time I drove Wilson to a local car show,   not to enroll,  but simply to check out some cars,  and to get something to eat at a fundraiser our sister church was hosting.

I parked "away" from the entries,  but gathered quite a crowd as I was eating.  . .  one of them was a boy about 14 years old, very talkative,  and into the car-show scene for sure. 

I had to laugh when he said,   "I really like this Jeep,  and if there was an award for most shift levers,  you would win for sure".  LOL       (I did have the 5th one for PTO)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 11:03am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

I had to laugh when he said,   "I really like this Jeep,  and if there was an award for most shift levers,  you would win for sure".  LOL       (I did have the 5th one for PTO)

That's funny.  Most young people today are baffled by 1 shift lever.  Multiples are mind boggle to most people!
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 2:54am
Sick of seeing her run hot. I have done everything else: multiple flushes with vinegar, thermostat, shroud extender, good belt, new pump, new hoses. Pulled the radiator. Taking it to the shop tomorrow. I hope they can get it done by Friday so I can put her back together over the weekend.
Hoping not to go Omix. (Stan, how is that working?)

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 1:11pm
Steelyard you might check out the manifold heat valve
notzach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 1:42pm
Since the engine is already out of the 3B, I decided to take the head and oil pan off to make sure everything's okay in it.

All of the internals look good, but the block looks like it cracked and was welded in the past.

I'm looking around for a machine shop right now and getting ready to order piston rings and rod bearings. This "oil change" has turned into a full on restoration.
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 1:55pm
We replaced the head gasket in my sons 1946 Willys. Started it up and got it to temperature and there are no leaks. Clap
Mark
1946 CJ2A
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by outlw21 outlw21 wrote:

Steelyard you might check out the manifold heat valve

Thanks, forgot to add that to the list. Wired open. Also, new temp gauge.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
northcoastsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 8:04pm
This weekend I removed the springs and axles, and pulled off all remaining bolt on pieces to the frame including old exhaust hangers and axle bumpers. I then proceeded to power wash the frame of built up grime and surface corrosion. I then removed the rear cross member as it had been pretty well mangled. That was a job in itself trying to cut hard to reach welds.

Just got a call from my machinist updating me on my engine that's in the shop (and asking when I was going to bring the rods by...) All four holes sleeved, a crack repaired, crank ground... I'm thinking of all the dollars that will be liberated from my bank account soon.
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 12:41am
New throwout bearing and rebuilt the SM420 in Willbur.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>