Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your jeep today March 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 2:16am
Nice pic Mike. Is that a current view of your neighborhood?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 5:02am
Yea Stan the weeds are taking over as a result of our recent rain. We have 2 weed seasons here; spring and fall. There's a condition where it's not too hot and not too cold for about 3 weeks and they spring up out of nowhere. Once it gets warmer they quickly dry up and turn brown and you can practically knock 'em down with a feather. The desert is actually quite lovely this time of year when it's in full bloom:-)

Mike
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 6:41pm
Yesterday I took the dog to the vet, bank and gas station and welcomed the first day of spring with a windshield down drive. 

Today, I finished rebuilding the shift tower and put in the last of the transmission pieces. 
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 7:38pm
Same thing I did yesterday and the day before I worked on creating the Push Pull controls for my Hand Throttle, Fresh Air Intake, Warm Air Intake, Choke, Defroster, and Water Temp Valve. SHould be done in another hour or so. Then its on to the little panel that will hang below the dash to hold the Heater controls. I'm kind of pissed I can't find a Brass Nut to fit the stem on the Fan Switch so it matches the Push Pull controls. If I could find a Tap for that weird fine thread it uses I might just make one.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 9:46pm
New springs, U bolts, C shackles and spring hangers.  Let's hope the alignment is ok.  Ha.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 1:35am
Spent 2 hours removing the stay engine cable.  Bubba cross threaded the nut!   Two pair of vise grips, impact wrench, BB, and cheerful language, I got it off. Had one strand of cable break off but after chasing the threads it's good to go.

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 11:28am
Replaced the rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders on Thumper last night with the help of my son. He loves being involved in working on the Jeep. (Sorry about the sideways picture. My wife didn't hold the phone correctly.)

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2019 at 6:07pm

Thursday, I got the radiator back from the shop. Both tanks and the filler neck had cracks in them. They replaced the neck. The inside was pretty plugged up. Usually they clean them out with high pressure water but had to physically rod it out to clear the buildup. Supposedly, it was pretty bad. All the tubes were re-soldered. When I dropped it off, I asked them to bang the dents out of the top header. They said they would make her look like new. Cool!

Previously, the fan ate the shroud extention. I had to do some metal work to get it round again and weld back on a mounting tab.

Got it mostly installed on Thursday before it got too cold to work in the driveway.

All back together Friday. It was too cold to drive her much to see the results. She came up to 180 and stayed there but it was only about 40 outside. Thermostat is 180. We will see come summer when it is 100+.

The only thing I wish I would have done different would have been to take home the shroud once it was removed. I would have done the metal work myself to get her like new. They really did not spend any time on it. I would have gotten the damaged corners and dents back in shape. Also. I should have given them the shroud extension. They didn’t quite get the upper shroud section tacked correctly to the tank. The arc is a bit off. I appreciated their attempts to straighten out the dents in the upper tank. Unfortunately, they made large gentle inward dents into a bunch of little outward dents as they hammered them back. I know, I’m picky.

So, $288 to get her back close to new. Hopefully this solves my overheating problem. I thought about going with the Omix replacement, but, for now, I’m glad I didn’t. (Stan, thanks for the review update.)

Also, I learned that the only times the front yoke leaks are when in 4WD or when she is parked nose up on an elevated surface, like my once nice clean driveway. Parts are sitting in the attic.

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 23 Mar. 2019 at 7:21pm
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2019 at 10:26pm
rebuilding #173267. Put in a remanufactured F134, installed new gauges, alternator, rebuilt starter, one motor mount, freshly painted exhaust manifold, generator splash guard, new gas tank and strap, and tidied up for another day. Newly recored radiator and re-habbed fenders and grill are next. Then wire it up and see if she starts and runs. Interesting winter project! Hoping for a Memorial Day parade runner!
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2019 at 10:41am
Spent most of Saturday on the big Jeep. Cleaned up the wiring under the dash. It was pretty hazardous looking. Cleaned up the rat's nest and removed a bundle of unused leads. Then redid my steering column. I had a ratio quickener in there. Never liked it. So that was removed and the direct connection to the orbital was restored. 

Then I started to mess around with loading the Jeep and trailer on the trailer in prep for the Reunion. It's and 18 foot deck. Everything fits. But the tongue weight is going to be a problem. I have a WD hitch. So I'll have to crank the bars up. I need to move my gear box in order to get the WD brackets lined up properly. Maybe today....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2019 at 4:58pm
Drove to the beach again. It was a very foggy drive and my drivers side wiper motor wouldn't work. Had to get out every once in a while to wipe the windshield down.  Got home and took the motor cover off. Cleaned the connections and it once again works.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2019 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Drove to the beach again. It was a very foggy drive and my drivers side wiper motor wouldn't work. Had to get out every once in a while to wipe the windshield down.  Got home and took the motor cover off. Cleaned the connections and it once again works.
I was wanting to come down this morning for Jeeps on the beach. Tore in to it yesterday to finish up the wiring from the alternator swap. Didn’t quite get it back together. Still trying to figure out why there are 4 grounds coming off the battery. 
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2019 at 5:01am
Spent the day cleaning up some of the wiring after putting in the one wire alternator 

Edited by Mike F - 25 Mar. 2019 at 5:07am
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 2:43am
Spent a couple of hours tracing out why I no longer had a fuel gauge after my weekend wiring project. Turned out to be that a wire got knocked out of its crimped terminal at the fuse panel. 4th one I’ve replaced on the Jeep. Crimping terminals on wires was not the PO’s strong point. Might have went a little quicker if all the wires weren’t the same color. But the gauge works again so yay.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 3:00am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Might have went a little quicker if all the wires weren’t the same color.

That's Bubba for ya!  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 8:31pm
I've had in intermittent electrical problem the last 3 weeks or so. I traced it down to the ammeter. The nut and washer had vibrated off one of the terminals. The wire's ring terminal was just loosly hanging on the post. A couple weeks ago I found a 10x32 nut on the floor, but thought it was left over from when I changed over to a mechanical brake light switch. Then while fiddling with the ignition switch a #10 flat washer fell out from the dash. So I reached up under the dash and felt the back of the ammeter and found the problem. I put it back together (with a lock washer) and all is right with the worldSmile
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 10:04pm
Got the ndnchief! I spent Saturday and most of today putting back starter motor, alternator, splash shield, fenders, heater plumbing, carb, and fuel lines on my rebuild. Oh, some gauges too; flat on the back work under a dash is a lot to ask of a 60-something chubby old guy!  Glad I had my Marine Corps son handing wrenches and getting into the smaller, hardly navigable places. Good thing (I think) is I finally decided a full wire harness job is in order; what a 70 year old rat's nest under this dash!  But first I want to put back the radiator, grill, juice it up and start my rig for the first time in a year. Keeping my fingers crossed! Hope to have this 48 CJ2A back on the road in April; I want to DRIVE!
Cheers
John
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 11:54pm
Wet Sanding and more Wet Sanding
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>