Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of spray gun?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of spray gun?
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:20am
Been reading other posts about painting and I'm wondering what kind of spray gun you guys are using? My good finish gun (Devilbiss) is worn out and to replace the nozzle and needle is crazy money. I have a couple of real nice siphon guns but I hate to go back to them after using the HVLP for so long now. I have a couple of cheapos I use for primer and such but I hate to mess up finish paint.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:36am
I used HVLP on Ol' Red and I was the first time I had ever used one. It was OK but I think I could have gotten better results with a siphon gun which I had always used on projects in the past. The HVLP gun takes a little time to get used to and I did get better with it as I went along. I started on the bottom of the tub first and used that for practice.

If you had a good DeVilbiss gun that gave good results and you want your body to look nice when you finish, fix the DeVilbiss gun. If you don't maintain it, then someday you will wish you had...especially after you used another gun and didn't get good results. Nobody likes a redo...there is so much re-sanding and prep.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:36am
I have an Eastwood HVLP set up.  I run the DeCups system with it.  Saves tons of time and thinner on clean up!
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:32am
I used the harbor freight HVLP guns and had real good luck with a little bit of practice. Never painted a vehicle before but very pleased with the results. I don't think I'll ever paint with the siphon gun again. The HFT HVLP guns are pretty inexpensive and since I don't paint much, they are perfectly acceptable.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:55pm
I have two paint guns that I've had forever; a Devilbiss JGA and a Binks model 7 (which you could paint a house with) that were rebuilt when I got them used back in the 80s. They still work well and like you have found out, parts are available for them, although pricey.

You can get away with using the cheap, imported department store guns for a while, but like anything else inexpensive will not last long and still work well- in other words; you get what you pay for. The other thing to consider is with a department store gun you won't have the option for different nozzles or needles to spray different material. Myself, I will use the cheap spray guns, but only for primers and undercoats.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:10pm
I bought two of the purple HVLP guns at Horror Freight.  I drilled out the jet/nozzle of the one to 1.9mm to spray primer.  Clean them well first and don't expect them to last a lifetime.  They got good reviews from many and I painted my CJ2a and just last week finished my dads Nissan Frontier.  I am more than happy with the results.  
I used some Eastwood paint for y pop's truck, but I got my paint from NCS and spent quite a bit of money on good paint, Epoxy primer and clear coat.  Also invested in a compressor that could meet my needs with filter and dehumidifier.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:00pm
I picked up a Transtar back in 2002 for the collision repair class I was taking. It's an Iwata knockoff and works fairly well as far as I can tell. I think I picked it up from Napa. They came in 1.4 and 1.7 nozzles at the time. 

Beware it may be like saying that my Mosin 91/30 is a fairly accurate rifle simply because I've only been to the range a couple times in the last decade. Wink 

I also have an old Sharpe pressure-pot that can lay down a 20" pattern - it can paint the side of a panel van in five passes.

Edited by LesBerg - 22 May 2017 at 11:03pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:12am
I used HF hvlp to spray the gillespie coating gloss OD on my 3B they are a cheap disposable gun for 10 bucks, I am happy with the results and will use another one next time. But then I'm not squirting high dollar paint through them either.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:13am
The worn out one I have was almost $300.00 over 15 years ago. The the parts to fix it are 150-200, I can buy a comparable Devilbiss for around 250. I don't mind buying a decent one just not right now. I may paint the back side of some stuff with one of my cheapos and see how it comes out, some of them work just as good as an expensive one.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 7:48pm
I used one of my old siphon guns today, they work great but I forgot how much more over spray they put out. Got some dust but looks good otherwise, plenty good for the underside of fenders.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 3:05am
Blue being my favorite color, I want to see that Jeep when it's done!  I have read that you shouldn't use plastic for covering stuff because the paint will flake off the plastic and get all over everything.  I can tell you it's not much of a problem when you slap it on with a brush.  Wacko
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:25pm
The plastic was clean when I put it down just to help a little with dust, now it will be thrown out . All I painted was the inside, I think I will re prime the outside with black and use it on everything else. I'm trying to get all the small parts out of the way then do the tub.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 3:30am
Why re-prime and why black?  Will that make the blue darker?  Is it supposed to be darker?  It looks good to me in the pic!  Approve
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 10:26pm
It just seems to me like it took more to cover the primer than I thought it should. I thought it might cover easier over dark primer, it's probably just from not using that type of spray gun for a long time. I guess no one uses black primer much anymore, that place where I get the paint would have to special order it. I borrowed a good HVLP gun and I'll see how it works, some colors seem to cover better than others. The paint holds a beautiful shine though, shouldn't have to touch it with a buffer unless I get too much dust.
 Post Reply Post Reply