Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What type of safety wire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What type of safety wire
    Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 8:33pm
What type of Safety wire do I need to rebuild my transfer case? Aluminum? Stainless? 12ga? 18ga? 

Can anyone make a recommendation also does anyone recommend a thread locker? Or will loctite do the trick?

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 9:38pm
threadlocker by locktite is great stuff, my transfer case sliding gear square bolt was secured with bailing wire, with a few twists to keep it together, too many twists and you'll break the wire at the twist. having used miles of safety wire in the aviation industry you don't need fancy pliers for your twists, hand twisting works fine on jeeps. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 9:45pm
I wouldn't use bailing wire, it may work for a lot of repairs but it maybe to big to fit the holes on the anchoring bolts. Go with stn. stl. and it will work better. I have some at home and will look at what gage it is.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
cdn2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 10:34pm
http://www.malinco.com/aerospace-lockwire.html

I use stainless, it can be brittle...
FrankD90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 1:19am
Thank you all!
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 3:54am
Locktite will do fine but look over on the motorcycle sites. If you are going to race a bike there are parts that need wired on and I have seen kits for that listed. The wire and the tool to twist it. If you want to go to an extreme, go out the your local county airport and talk to an aircraft mechanic.
Personally, if I felt the need to wire something, I would use some wire from my MIG welder.
uncamonkey
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 11:25am
Plain old mechanic's wire.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by 1947-cj2a 1947-cj2a wrote:

I wouldn't use bailing wire, it may work for a lot of repairs but it maybe to big to fit the holes on the anchoring bolts.
                        1947-cj2a....You have to know they make more than one diameter balling wire? Bailing wire is very malleable(soft) which is what you want. Some metals "work harden" when bent which can cause brakes. The safety wire also prevents losing any bolts. Not as much of a concern on the jeep but different story for jet engines.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 2:49pm
Most hardware stores have small rolls of wire that you could use. We mostly used .032 size wire on C 130 aircraft even on the engine mount bolts when I was in the USAF. The wire should be run where it is in the tightening position side of the bolt.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 4:58pm
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 7:15pm
Seems to me that give all we're doing is trying to stop a bolt from turning if it loosens, virtually ANY wire should do it.  The force of the bolt spinning is negligible.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Seems to me that give all we're doing is trying to stop a bolt from turning if it loosens, virtually ANY wire should do it.  The force of the bolt spinning is negligible.

If safety wired correctly the bolt cant turn unless the wire breaks or stretches.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 12:54am
Like rocketeer said, use plain mechanics wire available at your local auto parts store.
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 1:42am
I use mig welding wire too.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 2:25am
I would add that you should use stainless wire just so it won't rust.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 4:04am
As an aircraft mechanic, I have lots of cans & spools of stainless safety wire. I would use either .020, or .032 safety wire. Which ever one that is not too large in diameter.

My grandpa left me a large spool of copper wire that he used for safety wiring item on his farm. The tractor has this copper wire on the bolts that hold the transmission together. I would worry that the copper could work harden over time, & break. OTOH, I have never found any of his wire jobs that failed.

Seriously, Try going to your local General Aviation airport & talk to the mechanics out there. If you tell them you want some for your 1948 CJ-2A, they might just give you some. I would. For that matter, PM me your address, & I will mail you some.

I also would guess that any malleable wire would work.

As far as Loctite, I highly recommend it.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
 Post Reply Post Reply