Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What winch and winch mount?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:51pm
I don't have a winch, so I probably shouldn't comment, but....

If you get too much sticking out front and hanging low, and you like to crawl on rocks, you might get hung up. Approach and departure angles are some of the few limiting factors in taking a stock(ish) flatfender on the rocks. 
Just sayin'. 
Probably  could winch yourself over things you got hung up on though.

My bumper takes quite a beating and if I had anything hanging below it on this obstacle I would have had to have been towed off of it. My bumper hit on the drivers corner just as it is.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:29pm
Stan,

I think having a winch will not stop you from driving into that rock.  Electric winches and PTO winches can be mounted without changing the position of the stock bumper and the approach angle.  Both of my CJ2As have PTO winches with the bumpers in the stock location.  They did sell a bumper extension that make it easier to mount the PTO winches.  Electric winches generally are mounted with the bumper in the stock location.  

Some of the WW2 M16 Half Tracks had a roller on the front.  That might be something to consider designing into a bumper for rock work.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:40pm
I don't really know anything about winches, yet I keep talking.  

I just saw some of the winch mounts in this thread and thought that if I had that mount hanging low like that I would not get up or down some stuff so I thought I would throw it out there as food for thought. 

i would like a winch, but I'm still 6 volt so electric is out.  Not planning on changing that anytime soon.
I actually have a Ramsey model # 246-R2 pto winch sitting in my garage that followed me home one day.  I've never seriously looked into mounting it because I love my overdrive enough not to want to mess with it. I know you can make them work with an overdrive, but I'm too busy bending my bumper on rocks to make all the mods it takes, at least for right now.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

.... I've never seriously looked into mounting it because I love my overdrive enough not to want to mess with it.....

BOOM!  nice and vintage
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:17pm
I do carry the Harbor Freight version of that in my recovery bag, but my real plan is to always have you (or someone else, since you live almost 1400 miles away) around when I get stuck so you can pull me out.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:06pm
Winches get you stuck deeper.      

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:06am
Here's where I'm headed, strictly ol' skool. A 5687 Warn for the 2A, and a Belleview for the 3B. Both tuck neatly inside the confines of the stock bumper. Cut upper lip off the channel bumper and weld in the mount inside the channel, add a few cables and wires...

Edited by jeeper50 - 17 May 2017 at 12:08am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:39am
I think this ones as good as it gets for a PTO winch.
Has a 1 piece drive shaft and front bumper remains in standard position.

Top view of installed low mount Koenig winch:
The 8" narrow drum spools up much better than the wider Ramsey during sidling pulls.

Next the Koenig fairlead is installed using the same bumper mount bolts. 
This winch has a special LH gear that allows it to spool cable onto the bottom of drum.

Here you can easily see how low this particular  winch sets.
Low mounting will enhance its usefulness during self extractions.

The ground clearance for the lower winch and fairlead  are ideal.
The relatively narrow drum and fairlead will allow drum to spool cable more neatly during side ling pulls.

Edited by oldtime - 17 May 2017 at 12:43am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:06am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I like the way you got the tall 8274 mounted down as low as possible.

And I use the original warn mount to connect it to the rear of the Bumper I made. I had to shorten the mount a bit, but now the bottom acts like a skid plate for the winch.

Edited by masscj2a - 17 May 2017 at 2:17am
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:21am
SO not trying to talk anyone into anything. BUT the neatest winch I have ever seen was made from an Old REO 3HP Horizontal shaft lawn mower engine it was mounted on the front of a 62 Wagon. The guy was pulling up Big Cedar fence posts used to anchor the Guy wire that they used to grow Pole beans on. In one day with a tripod like set up that winch pulled over 100 posts out of the ground. The posts had been in the ground for 3 months and were about 30" into the ground which was watered and dried every day for those 3 months as the Bean were grown and then picked 3-4 times.

He had a little hand throttle on a cable like a detached motorcycle throttle and a forward neutral reverse lever.

I would take the cable and wrap it around the base of the post and with the cable going up over the tripod about 4ft tall he would rev it up and up would come the post. He had the Wagon sitting about 30 ft from the posts so he could pull a half dozen or so before moving the wagon. That thing ran for about 2 hours at a throw.

He said it would pick the Wagon clean up off the ground. I have no idea how powerful it was but I could tell it wasn't working hard doing the work.

I have been interested in a gas powered winch ever since. There is a Chainsaw engine powered unit I have thought about building a mount for that could go on either the front or attach via the 2" Receiver I have on the back of Chug. Or could even be attached to a tree or other mounting point and used away from the Jeep.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:44am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I like the way you got the tall 8274 mounted down as low as possible.

I agree. The 8274 is a 'classic' choice of long standing, and has power in and power out.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:50pm
My old Bellview was mounted so the fair lead rollers are below the front bumper on my Commando. I've hit it a few times.
The Koenig on the 3B is above the bumper. It's a very heavy bumper set up that I have used to push dump trucks and move 30 yd dumpsters. I have never hit any rocks or anything with it that I didn't mean to hit. I did sort of run into a tree once but it was to be used as a belay point so I could winch out a Toyota with a broken front axle shaft.
The old M6000 is too fast at times and no power out. My vote goes to a PTO and the 3B is also running an OD. It's a little tight over on the drivers side of the motor but it works quite well.
uncamonkey
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:07pm
Oldtime,

That fair lead looks pretty low in your photo.  Viking makes wide hawse that can be used with synthetic rope on a old school PTO winch.  I have 150 feet of the heavy mil spec synthetuc 21,000 pound synthetic on my Ramsey PTO .  I mounted the hawes in the center of the stock bumper and with a little more effort it could be mounted inside the stock bumper with a hole cut in the center.

Stev
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:30pm
Yeah Stev yet the fairlead still sets notably up above shackle height.

It's an O.D. PTO system that I set up on Scotties Jeep.
He wanted a very low mounted winch with no bumper modifications.
He brought me a complete Ramsey 246 system but I talked him into the Low Mount Koenig  because it fits so much better.
It winds from the bottom because it has a LH gear in it as opposed to most Koenigs that have a RH bronze gear.

You can read more about it over on CJ3B bulliten Board under Winch Wars.

Winches can be very interesting to set up if you have options to work with since most winches are a custom fit anyways.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:40pm
Oldtime,

I perhaps have just been lucky.  All of the PTO winches I have mounted pull from the bottom.  I have had no issues with the Koenigs or Ramseys in actual field use.  The Koenig was more work than the Ramseys were to mount.  I am a believer that  the winch mount should be the strongest thing on the vehicle.
Stev
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:03pm
One thing to keep in mind if you're not building stock and using something like flexy Holbrook springs is that you may want to install a sway bar and a REALLY low mounted winch may produce some engineering problems with that.  That and my pitman arm and drag link are close to the frame rail on the left side and in front of the grill.  Both would contact a winch mounted more than a inch or two below the bumper.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
LUIS MORALES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUIS MORALES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:16pm
hello, i think the koenigs looks better in a Willys, if you have the opportunity get one Wink, latter you can put the electric winch hidden under the cargo area, good luck 
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:37pm
The Koenig requires something like an inch and a quarter extension of the front bumper to fit. I did some work with a tape measure to see about fitting in a Saginaw steering box and I'm not sure I can move the winch over enough and still clear the motor with the driveshaft.
Nobody has yet touched on hydraulic winches. Sort of the same problems as a PTO. Your motor has to be running unless you can come up with a battery powered pump.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>