Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What winch and winch mount?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 12:37am
Yes, The common "A" frame Koenig requires a short front bumper extension but not a well placed low mount Koenig.
The low mount Koenig that I set up actually fits partly inside the bumper channel.

It's also possible to run some PTO shafts up the right side of an early jeep.
Virtually all PTO winches easily convert from LH input too RH input.

A common RH geared winch will spool onto the bottom if converted to passenger side (RH) input.
Most winches are RH geared and LH input so they spool up at the top.
Only a few will be equipped with LH gears.
The RH or LH gears effect the way it spools, top or bottom.

Clear as Mud right !

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:00am
Here's my set up, all stock.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:05am
My low mount Koenig has the bumper extensions but that is the way I got it.
I mentioned hydraulics and my neighbors Excursion has an electric power steering pump so I suppose it is possible to run a PTO off of a battery.
Perhaps you need to talk to somebody like Windyhill to see if it is doable.
uncamonkey
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 2:44pm
Qcanuck
 Check your winch cable clamps, I've always been told on winch cables "not to saddle a dead horse"  referring to proper clamp installation on a winch cable.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:21am
LOL! I just KNEW someone notice that.   I agree, and good diagram you sent.    I robbed a clamp off the other day for a project around the house, and didn't bother to replace it.   I'm looking to go with a whole new set up like the in the you tube video below. Only problem is they only make that system for 3/8 cable.   I have 5/16 at the moment. Do you think the Koenig will handle a 3/8 cable?   

Sorry if I'm hijacking the post!

Q

https://youtu.be/6IDQBzexWTo
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:26am
That's really a good question. 
What size cables or ropes are you guys running ?
I think most PTO guys like the 3/8" cables and 5/16" cable is typical on electric winches.

Also back o the original question concerning winch mounts.
There are two basic types of winch mounts in use.
The cradle and the platform type mounts.
The cradle wraps around while the winch sits atop a platform type mount.
Many but not all mounts are homemade designs.

Here a pic of a typical cradle mount:
This cradle was fabricated from 1/2 x 2" hot rolled steel.

Here you see the Koenig winch bolted into its cradle:

Edited by oldtime - 19 May 2017 at 1:36am
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:47am
I suppose there is a reason to live in a Podunk cow town. I can drive a few minutes and find about any part, seals, bearings, whatever.
For the record, My Koenig is an over spool and my M6000 is an under spool.
The Koenig is factory and the M6000 was put together by a PO. He did seem to know what he was doing. He also built the skid plate for the gas tank.
uncamonkey
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 4:30pm
My Koenig on my ol '56 CJ5 was spooled with 100" of 3/8", I wished I would have replaced it with 5/16" the heavier cable acted like a spring uncoiling and causing problems. The PO had installed the Koenig cage around the spool, but it had already broken off his factory A frame release handle and he had fabbed up an alternate to use.
 My Belleview has 5/16" and it is easier to drag out to a winch point. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:07pm
I have somewhere around 180' of 3/8 on my Koenig and I don't know how much 1/4" my brother has on his wide Ramsey PTO. I know we had 3 runs of cable out in his driveway and more on the drum when we went to wind it back up in an orderly manner. The PO must of used it for game recovery.
uncamonkey
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:33am
We should get an expert to chime in. I'm going to invite Lars Jørgensen (lars@koenigwinches.dk) of Koenig Winches to read the posts and comment if he wishes...

Lars, are you out there?

Q
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 1:46am
Anyone every mount a PTO winch hidden under the back bed - behind the axle up in the frame?
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 12:50pm
My buddy bought his TSC 8000 winch when they were on closeout. Removed the plastic housing, bent up a metal one, water jetted the WILLYS and weathered it as needed. Looks great and still functional.

1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 2:18pm
I acquired a Koenig standard mount and want to determine if its under spool or over spool. Which direction is the pto shaft turning as it runs the winch? This is a drivers side input winch. Then I can just hand turn the input to see what I have. Thanks
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

That's really a good question. 
What size cables or ropes are you guys running?

The synthetic winch ropes are very light, at least as strong as wire and easy to use. 
 I am sure there are differences in how they behave relative to traditional cable and I don't know what those are 1st hand. However, thats the direction I am going when my winch is installed. I work in the tree industry and winch ropes have a known record under sever applications (winching trees). That is good enough for me. 
A rope that can drag an oak through the dirt and mud into a chipper or to a skidder is pretty serious proof of service.

Great thread. Very helpful.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 2:33pm
As you look toward the input it always turns counterclockwise with transmission in a fore-ward gear.
Same direction as the crankshaft rotates......

The Koenig input is reversible so you could feasibly have passenger side input. 
However the Koenig model 51 PTO unit is not reversible for RH usage.
A Ramsey PT-1 PTO can work on the right or left side of jeep.
Zero aftermarket parts

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 2:44pm
Thanks!
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 3:46pm
That's really helpful info. I have a Koenig PTO winch and a Ramsey PT-1J. So it sounds like I could route it on the passenger side or drivers side. I've looked at the driver's side and it will be tricky (and I will need to redo the exhaust) to get it to work. I haven't looked at going on the passenger side. Is the routing any easier? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Thanks
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by jhg jhg wrote:

The synthetic winch ropes are very light, at least as strong as wire and easy to use. 
 I am sure there are differences in how they behave relative to traditional cable and I don't know what those are 1st hand. However, thats the direction I am going when my winch is installed. I work in the tree industry and winch ropes have a known record under sever applications (winching trees). That is good enough for me. 
A rope that can drag an oak through the dirt and mud into a chipper or to a skidder is pretty serious proof of service.

Great thread. Very helpful.

Synthetic rope is more susceptible to both heat and UV (sunlight) than wire rope.  Heat can be an issue on inner wraps in hard usage (at least on winches with brakes in the drum, not sure if the PTO winches have that or not).  UV can be an issue if left uncovered, but neither of these is an overwhelming issue by any means.  Synthetic rope is also usually more expensive than wire rope.

Synthetic rope MAY be more susceptible to cutting or abrasion than wire rope.  But as jhg points out, synthetic is pretty darn tough, and wire rope can be damaged pretty easily too.  So this difference may not be real.

Synthetic rope has numerous advantages over wire:  it's lighter, it stores less energy when under tension (so it's less dangerous when it breaks), it's easier to repair (learn to splice it though, knots greatly reduce the strength) and it's less likely to shred your hands.

I don't know why, but they really discourage you from using a roller fairlead with synthetic rope.  An aluminum hawse fairlead seems to be the preferred choice (steel rollers are usually preferred for wire rope).

And for what it's worth, in the winch / hoist industry, both synthetic and wire are called rope.  "Cable" refers to the electrical cables running to the winch motor (not applicable on PTOs obviously).
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>