Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel stubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel stubs
    Posted: 22 June 2018 at 10:42pm
hello All. I’m the new owner of a 1946 CJ2a. And looking forward to getting it back on the road. The engine starts easily but the first issue is there is no brakes. Working a completely upgrading the whole system. After a lot of effort I got the rear him off thanks to a large sledge hammer. Now my issue is replacing the drums. I have read a lot on the forum on removing the stubs from just wacking them to drilling out the swaged to drilling out the stub. . Is there a consensus on the best method. I have left them at an auto machine shop and they have asked me the question. Also, after they are removed how to put the new stubs back in. Is it just a matter of pressing them in or is there some other trick. I really appreciate any help
Fred
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 11:08pm
  Forcefully pressing or bashing the studs out will most likely damage the drums and/or the hubs. The swadge needs to be cut off or the studs should be drilled so they can collapse into themselves. If you are replacing the drums (sounds like you might be) you should use outboard-mounted drums, unless you're looking for a 100% correct restoration (sounds like you might not be). The new studs can be pressed into the hubs and no swadge is needed. Of course, different studs are needed for outboard drums. Studs listed for a CJ3B, CJ5, or M38A1 should work.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 12:39am
I just went through this a few months ago. I agree with Bruce. Cut the swage, then press them out. Be sure to back up the drum with a socket around the head of the stud for support. Check out this thread, and page 5 in particular. I describe how I did it with photos.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 3:56am
Welcome to the page, Fredh!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply