Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where to find Diamond Plate Rear Quarter Panels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to find Diamond Plate Rear Quarter Panels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GalenHorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to find Diamond Plate Rear Quarter Panels
    Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 2:22pm
Anyone know where to source diamond plate rear quarter panels for a CJ2A/CJ3A?  I've seen them for years on various jeeps, but have never seen them for sale anywhere - is this a custom job that folks source locally, or is there an outlet for them?  Trying to find a set that wrap around the rear corners for my Dad, who just got his dream flat fender.

Pic for what I'm talking about:

Galen in Northwest Arkansas

1947 CJ2A
1953 M38A1
2011 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 2:44pm
While I don't understand the look, I did find a website that lists older CJ's under the "select vehicle" window.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
GalenHorton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GalenHorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 2:57pm
Thanks, Rus!!
Galen in Northwest Arkansas

1947 CJ2A
1953 M38A1
2011 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sport
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 3:29pm
I put a set of these on my CJ5 years ago to cover the damage on the right rear corner.   No one has ever commented about them to me one way or the other.  They were a quick fix.
I now have a welder and could replace the sheet metal.  I may do that if I decide to repaint "Eeyore".
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 3:44pm
They are also found on eBay do a search for " diamond plate corners willys " A number of choices came up.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 6:47pm
JCWhitney Used to sell them in the 1960s & 70s. I bet that they still do.

Keep in mind that they can hold moisture between them & the tub, causing rust issues.

That was my cousins experience in Western Oregon. When the tub rusted through behind these chrome diamond plate corners it was a major mess. IIRC, we went to the junk yard & found two newer Jeeps with good corners & grafted those in.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 2:07am
I just removed some diamond plate from both sides of my jeep. Don’t think you would like them as they are full length and steel. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 4:05am
I have a pair that I don't need . PM me.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
GeorgiaFlattie View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgiaFlattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

JCWhitney Used to sell them in the 1960s & 70s. I bet that they still do.

Keep in mind that they can hold moisture between them & the tub, causing rust issues.

That was my cousins experience in Western Oregon. When the tub rusted through behind these chrome diamond plate corners it was a major mess. IIRC, we went to the junk yard & found two newer Jeeps with good corners & grafted those in.

This would be my concern as well.  Maybe adding some body seam sealer around the perimeter before attaching them would limit this? It could also make it worse though. lol
 Post Reply Post Reply