Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to get used L134’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V’s Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to get used L134’s
    Posted: 16 Mar. 2018 at 11:56pm
so this is probably a dumb question but I’m new to this and I need an engine. Either don’t know where to look or there are none in the Midwest. Converting a Hesse air compressor using an L134 as both an engine and compressor back to a whole engine is all I can find yet there is not much info out there. Any help would be appreciated 
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 12:07am
I have one in great shape as part of a parts jeep all taken apart and stacked inside for the past 11 years.  Only bored .010 over.
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 12:24am
The other bad new for you I just sold two about 45 days ago.  Mostly complete.....wish I had know and I would have split up the pair i sold together.  You may want to post a I wanted on Craigslist out of Lincoln.  The guy that bought the pair from me lives there and me may be will to part with one of them.  It was not complete but had many parts.
V’s Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V’s Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 1:44am
yeah, so I feel like I’m getting that sickness I’ve read about with these 2a’s. You can only find parts when you don’t need them. Thanks for the lead on the Lincoln craigslist!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 7:59am
I really think that air compressor conversion, I recall you said $800(?), is the hard way.  I don't know what's involved in converting it, but it's still money down the road.

The engine currently in my 2a came from a pe95k generator I picked up for $300.  It then needed a head, dizzy, intake, carb, starter, clutch and on and on... it helped being able to swap some parts from the kaiser block I took out, but that left that engine incomplete.  Add misc stuff like gaskets, etc., and I'd bet I have another 300 in making the swap.  If I didn't scrounge parts off the kaiser I can easily see that additional 300 growing past 5 or 6.  Even at that, the only reason I did it was I knew the block was factory spec on bores and bearings and needed no machine shop work...and I'm still not counting "elective" stuff like having the flywheel done.  I'm really concerned if you jump into the compressor at 8, by the time you actually turn the key in your jeep you could have bought a solid (really solid) parts jeep with a "running" engine.  You should be able to pick up a running properly configured engine for 5-800, imo.

As far as parts when you don't need them, that's where this illness really gets insidious, lol.  I originally picked up the genset engine to rebuild, and to replace the kaiser.  At that point the kaiser would get rebuilt and mothballed.  Part way through my swap I found a CL add for parts.  For $300 I got two L134's head to pan, one disassembled, both standard bore, a "rebuilt" WO and a decent pile of bolt ons.  Guy was going diesel.  To be fair, each block has one cylinder that needs work but one should clean up at 0.020 and the other may need a sleeve, but my point is that even at that I think I could get them both running for 800, including my initial 300 in.  The long game will likely involve full rebuilds though.

Hang in there and keep digging, they are out there.  Finding them is sometimes the easy part... usually it's the distance that's the hard part.  I'll go out to about 300 miles for a good deal.  Past that fuel costs or shipping can nix it.  The genset above was in scrapyard a town over.  The pair of unnecessary engines a state over... the clean frame I recently picked up was MA to NJ and back, and still worth it.

My wife thinks I'm nuts.  She may just be right.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
V’s Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V’s Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 12:35pm
thanks. I’m going to keep looking and try to enjoy this new crazy ride.  I had reservations about the compressor initially anyways. 
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 2:35pm
I was looking for a 134 to go into my M-38 project.  Decided to go with a Pinto engine.  Got started on the conversion and came across a couple of 134's in a close county.  The Pinto makes 95 Hp and that makes the Jeep really quick and sporty. 
It is good to keep the Jeep all original, but there are options.  Depends on what you want to do with your Jeep.  The 134 has a unique sound all its own.  
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 6:59am
I have one available in good shape, but I'm in Florida.
Tom Lach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Lach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 1:29pm
Not mine but saw this this morning. West Chicago burbs

I ended up buying a hobart welder to take the cj2 industrial motor out of it. It had the normal manifold on it but had to replace the head.

Tom
T3C - 21351
1942 Script GPW
V’s Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V’s Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 2:17pm
Thanks minnow, what would something like that cost plus shipping. I guess I’m still hoping there is a barn around here full of them. HA!
V’s Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V’s Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by redrunner redrunner wrote:

I have one in great shape as part of a parts jeep all taken apart and stacked inside for the past 11 years.  Only bored .010 over.

Were you selling?
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by V’s Willy V’s Willy wrote:

I guess I’m still hoping there is a barn around here full of them.

That barn is probably just in the next county, but they don't know you're looking.  Ain't that always the way?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 9:08am
craigslist denver has one for sale now

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 1:56pm
I have a buddy with a couple for sale...I know nothing about them
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 5:49pm
Also try different key words when searching craigslist. I found my factory replacement "L" 134 block 8 hours from me for $100 in a early CJ5.

I found my block searching "CJ5" The ad did not mention what type of motor, just said 4 cylinder but looking at the pictures I saw it was the "L" instead of "F" 134.
V’s Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V’s Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 6:26pm
thanks fellas. I have done the search tempest with different key words. I was pretty sure I was going to need an engine and finally got the head off the other night and found #3 cylinder full of mud and haven’t found the valves under the rust yet Confused.  
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 4:08pm
Eric,

Did you get any motor-freight estimates for shipping an engine ?

My wife and I drove through Sioux City 8-years ago on our way home from Louisville, Kentucky.

This is always how it works isn't it ?

When we don't need something, they are readily available. And then when we Do need something, then there are few bargains to be found.
   We all need a large warehouse maybe 60-ft x 100-ft just for parts storage.

Right ! ........... I know, ... dream on

and as some guys mentioned, when searching Craigslist, do search the Gen-sets because these L134 engines were very-popular on old Hobart portable generators.

Good luck on your search for the engine.    and one will pop-up !
   oh, I joined this group in February, and just recently purchased a '46 2A.

Len

Edited by Greaser007 - 22 Jan. 2020 at 9:25pm
Lewnetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewnetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2020 at 10:28pm
Do you still have this engine?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>