Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where’s Bam Bam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

That is too close to the edge for me Confused A couple times I have accidentally tried to start the Jeep in gear.... Wink

Part of my mental checklist when I pull up to an edge like that an park is "put in reverse then turn off key"

i too have turn the key with the clutch out a time or two. Sometimes on purpose if I'm hanging on a slope and trying to get up it, but ALWAYS put gear selector in reverse when you toe up to a 1000 foot drop off. Just a good rule to always have. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 12:00am
Maybe a clutch interlock/neutral safety switch isn't a bad idea, just a minor annoyance... 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 2:13am
I really like being able to start in gear with the clutch engaged.  It's a good way to get moving smoothly when you stop in the rocks.  An interlock with a bypass switch might be OK.  But personally I'll just keep doing it the old-fashioned way and take responsibility for my own actions (but Stan's suggestion to park it in reverse on the edge of a cliff isn't a bad idea).
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 2:42am
Y'all are having too much fun!  

Is it possible to have too much fun?
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 3:36am
Man driving up to the edge like that just makes me nervous, but I would probably still do it for the picture. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Y'all are having too much fun!  

Is it possible to have too much fun?

Garrison Keillor once said, in true understated Minnesota style on Prairie Home Companion, "We're having some fun now.  But not too much fun.  I had too much fun once and really didn't enjoy it very much."
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 2:55pm
Here are a couple pictures like the one's Stan posted but I cleaned them up a little:

... that view is simply indescribable and a picture would NEVER do it justice. here is an attempt though:

One of the couples up there was from Michigan. He asked me if I had seen any of the YouTube videos of those Willys jeeps that did the Rubicon trail :)

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 3:11pm
Wow.  That's incredible, Jeff.  Thanks!

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 3:50pm
We left southern, IL at noon on Wednesday and made it to the trailhead by 8:30 AM Thursday. Unloaded and started. By the time we got done, we were pretty exhausted but we still managed to drive up to Arches and get as close as we could to the Delicate Arch without making the long hike:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 3:57pm
Just for some context on Jeff's Delicate Arch picture because it looks really tiny and "delicate" in his photo, here's a picture I took a few years ago after we made the  hike up close to it. The thing is really quite massive. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2018 at 2:17am
On Friday, Terry and I took his Ranger up on Hell's Revenge:

... This was particularly fun for me. Terry has never been to Moab before and he was very nervous to say the least. He was so nervous, he was making me nervous and it reminded me how I felt the first time I did the trail.   GR8 times!!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2018 at 2:39am
After Hell’s Revenge, we loaded up and went to see the Gemini Bridges:

Goonie Bird Rock:

These views are some of the greatest sights I have set my peepers on:

..... more
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2018 at 2:43am
Then we went down to see the bridges from the bottom:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2018 at 2:44am
That Ranger is kinda noisy, isn't it?

Those are some nice pics!

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 14 Nov. 2018 at 2:46am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 1:16am
   Those photos are super cool. I have never been there to Moab, and photos never do show the true perspective of the depth.
   That big arch was so decieving from a distance, until right upon it ! Wow
That thing is Massive, and thanks guys for the great shots.

And when the lady mentioned she had seen Videos of you guys on the Rubicon, that was neat because i was just watching one of the 2018 vids this morning.
To watch the videos was just like being there again. Good memories.

Len

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 2:19pm
Thanks for the Hell's Revenge trip. Did it in 2017 and this brought it back. Made me remember how beat I felt when I got back to Moab. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 4:41pm
I ran HR 3 times last year and 7 times since 2016. It is more fun for me when I’m with friends who have never been on the trail. I really wish the Black Hills/FCT gang would consider going to Moab to do the trail like when they did Ouray a couple years ago. HR is a very cool trail that can be done in stock configuration and gives the group a chance to watch the locker stockers on the optional obstacles. I would totally be there for that.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 1:37pm
To paraphrase ZZ Top, Bam Bam is bad....he's nationwide. No, he's actually GLOBAL.

Love that cliff shot, jpet!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>