Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Won't move forward

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't move forward
    Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 5:08pm
I've got a 46 CJ-2A in my barn that I'm storing for a friend of a friend. It had spent two winters in the weather after someone (not the current owner) had done a pretty nice restore on it. I had a 47 when I was a kid and couldn't stand watching this one out in the rain and snow. Long story short, it looks really good in my barn and I'm thinking of making the owner an offer. But first, I need to figure out whats likely wrong with the transmission and I'm hoping you can help. It won't move forward no matter what position the shifter is in. In the 1st and R position, she moves backward, but there is not much power--it's as if the clutch is slipping. In 2nd and 3rd, she doesn't move at all. I don't know what, if anything, was done to the transmission during the restore. I'll ask the current owner if he knows anything, but wanted to get some ideas from folks here first if possible. I'v been watching T90 rebuild videos and would love to try it.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 5:32pm
Could be brakes binding. Had a chevy truck that acted like that, it had a broken brake shoe that was wedging in forward motion.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 6:16pm
I forgot to mention that it can be pushed forward (or backward) when the clutch is depressed, but not with the clutch out--even if the shifter is in neutral. This makes me believe that the brakes aren't binding. 
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 7:06pm
Did you check the transmission, transfer case, and axels for proper oil levels? I had same problem and discovered that water out the drain of t.c.Ouch
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Gristle Gristle wrote:

Did you check the transmission, transfer case, and axels for proper oil levels? I had same problem and discovered that water out the drain of t.c.Ouch

I'll check them, thanks. Did this cause your tranny to be stuck in reverse? what did you have to do, rebuild the TC?
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 8:19pm
You do know the transfer case has three settings also high range, neutral, low range. 

transfer case shifters-  tall lever fwd-2wd, short lever back is high range, short lever in mid position is neutral. short lever forward is low range. 

put it in low range 4wd and see if it moves

Edited by jeeper50 - 17 Mar. 2018 at 8:21pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 10:03pm
Sounds like somehow the trans shift forks aren't in the correct positions.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 10:53pm
Has the shifter tower been off?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 11:03pm
In my case the gears in t.c. were rusted together and I could not move levers. I ended up rebuilding both the transmission and the transfer case.
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Has the shifter tower been off?

Thought he stated the trans had been rebuilt then parked.
Maybe I'm wrong, just a guess based on his comments.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 12:43am
"In the 1st and R position, she moves backward, but there is not much power--it's as if the clutch is slipping. In 2nd and 3rd, she doesn't move at all."

In 2nd and 3rd, does it slow the engine down when you let the clutch out, as if it's trying to move the jeep?
  I'm thinking the 1st-Rev fork is out of the groove on the sliding gear and the gear is in the reverse-engaged position. When you put it in 2nd or 3rd, it's in two gears, and cant move. Don't try too hard to move it in two gears at one time, you might split the case.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 1:19am
I agree with Bruce...pull the shift tower and put the gears in the neutral position in the transmission. Then make sure that there is no slop in the shift forks on the shift rails. If there is, correct that. Put the shift tower in the neutral position and carefully install and bolt down the tower. You should be good to go, provided there has been no damage to the gears in the transmission. If it is still acting up then there is something more serious going on in the transmission.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

In 2nd and 3rd, does it slow the engine down when you let the clutch out, as if it's trying to move the jeep?

Yes, it does slow the engine a bit when in 2nd and 3rd. I haven't had the shift tower off yet, but I'll do that in the next day or two. The shifting is smooth and the locations seem right--would that happen if the fork was out of the groove? I know next to nothing about transmissions.
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 1:35am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Then make sure that there is no slop in the shift forks on the shift rails. If there is, correct that.

I'll check, thanks. If there is slop, how do you correct it? 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 2:11am
That's where I was headed too....I agree with Bruce.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 4:34am
If the forks have a detectable wobble on the shift rail, it could be nothing more than a loose or broken roll pin that holds the fork to the rail. If the roll pin is tight and not broken then either the fork or the rail may have undue wear and one or both should be replaced. The other factor to consider is unusual wear on the fork faces where they ride in the mainshaft gearing. If there is extensive wear it is possible that a transmission could hang up in second gear while being shifted to first. If the second gear syncronizer won't disengage from the second gear when shifting to first gear because of unusual wear on the third and second gear shift fork, then the transmission might act like it is in two gears at once. It would take a lot of wear to do this in combination with a loose shift fork, but I have run across this situation before.

The wear on the shift forks could be caused from a low level of oil in the transmission or very high mileage, or both.

I'm not saying this is the case, but my first move would be to look carefully at the shift tower components. It's easily done and eliminates the possible shift tower problems quickly.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 18 Mar. 2018 at 10:55pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 4:03pm
After seeing the photo I see the problem.
He feet doesn't reach the peddles.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 4:37pm
This is very helpful--thanks. I'll pull the tower and report back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>